Problem with OLD Kenmore Gas Stove

Old 12-11-01, 05:10 AM
Visiting Guest
Question Problem with OLD Kenmore Gas Stove

Hello:

House we just bought contains an old Kenmore Gas Stove. It works great, except for one thing: The oven only ignites when the setting on the dial next to the timer is set as "manual". Currently, the knob that allows you to switch the setting is stuck on "Hold", and therefore, the oven will not ignite.

Any idea what I can do? Is it best to have someone come out to fix it? It seems basic enough that I could take the face plate off, but I'm unable to.

I appreciate any input.

Thanks,

Chris

Old 12-11-01, 02:37 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 5 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Welcome Chris to my Gas Appliances forum and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

I am trying to visualize the dial your referring to here. You mentioned that it is stuck? Stuck how? Won't turn? Turns but does nothing to change the setting?

You also mentioned Quote: "The oven only ignites when the setting on the dial next to the timer is set as "manual". This indicates that the oven use to work? Until the dial/knob got stuck?

The reason I am attempting to gain more exact info is to more accurately guide you into doing a bypass of the entire clock which controls some oven functions. Usually, bypassing the clock entirely allows the oven to operate manually.

By doing that, the oven will at least work manually and you won't have to pay for any repairs if you can live with the oven set to manual operation forever.

Be advised that there are several componets that control the functions of the oven when options are included. These parts and componets use full house line current to operate. Therefore, repairs or attempted repairs must be done with caution.

Regards & Good Luck
Gas Appliances Forum Moderator
Tom_Bart....Company Enterprises.....TCB4U2B2B
Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Problem Diagnostics Technician.

Old 12-12-01, 03:20 AM
Visiting Guest
OLD Kenmore Stove

Tom:

Thanks for the reply.

I'm gonna try to answer each of your questions in order:

The knob is "stuck", but more acurately, it has "come undone" from the switch inside the panel. Basically, the knob twists freely and feels as if it is not connected to anything.

Yes, the oven used to work until the knob broke. When on manual, the oven would ignite.

I understand what you mean re: bypassing the clock to have the oven operate in manual mode forever. I would be fine with that.

I'm a new homeowner, and not very experienced in these matters (not at all). That being said, do you still feel its possible for me to make the bypass based on your instruction?

I appreciate your help!

Chris

Old 12-12-01, 04:23 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 5 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Hello: Chris

As long as your aware that full electrical power exists behind the ovens front panel and your willing to attempt a bypass, cool.

First unplug the entire appliance from the electrical power source. Then carefully remove the front glass panel. Your going to have to remove some minor hardware and knobs first.

There should be small screws securing the glass panel. remove them and DO NOT allow the glass front panel break or drop. Once behind it, unplug the entire electrical system and or just the clock, if possible.

Check all wires and be sure they are NOT touching anything metal. The wires you remove should be in plastic quick disconnects.

Once thats done, temperately set the glass front panel back in place, plug in the appliance and test the oven. It should work now. If not, unplug the appliance once again and remove the front panel.

This time attempt to rotate the dial of the stuck switch to the manual position somehow. If successful at this task, you should now be able to reconnect the wires to the switch and the bypass should be complete.

Regards & Good Luck
Forum Moderator
Tom_Bart.....TCB4U2B2B Enterprises

Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.
Please be advised that although I have spent many years in the natural gas industry, I'm currently not working as an appliance service or repair technican. Some diagnostic information provided is exclusively from memory....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: