Whirlpool Gas Stove/Range

Old 12-16-01, 01:56 PM
Visiting Guest
Question Whirlpool Gas Stove/Range

I have an older Whirlpool gas stove/oven where the oven is not working.

The way the stove/oven is setup is as follows:
The main gas pipe (tube) is located just below the temperature control knobs for the stove and oven. The stovetop burners work fine, where both pilot lights are lit and the controls regulate gas to the burners. This tells me at least the main gas pipe in the stove/oven is getting gas.

The "oven" temperature control has two tubes that are routed to the oven area (below the broiler plate). One appears to supply gas to the pilot light and the other appears to supply gas to the burner. The oven pilot light is lit, although turning on the oven temperature control knob does not send any gas to the burner.

From reading various info on the web, it appears to me the problem can be one of the following:
- temperature control valve
- safety valve (supposedly located by burner)
- thermostat (supposedly located by burner)

It does appear there is some sort of valve and a thermostat by the burner from my inspection. So, it would seem this oven may have the safefy valve and thermostat in the oven compartment.

Do my assumptions look correct so far? If so, how can I go about testing each of these to determine which part is the culprit?

Thank you for your help.
Ron

Old 12-16-01, 02:48 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello Rem65. Welcome to my Gas Appliances forum and our Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Based upon the description you posted here, if I understand it correctly, I would venture to say the thermostat on this oven has an actuating pilot flame.

Which means that when the thermostat is turned on, it allows gas to flow to a second and much larger pilot flame. This larger flame then heats a safety element which when heated up then opens the gas valve and allows burner gas to flow out.

If the above is correct, the most likely problem is a defective fluid safety element. The part the second larger flame heats.

Old 12-16-01, 03:26 PM
Visiting Guest
I didn't see a second oven pilot flame, unless you just mean the only pilot flame I see gets bigger when the oven temp control knob is turned up. If that's the case, yes, the pilot flame does get a little bigger, but not much.

Is there anyway I can verify the fluid safety element is defective?

Thanks.

Old 12-16-01, 04:48 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello rem65

If that pilot flame only gets slightly larger when the thermostat control is turned on, the pilot assembly may be restricted with debris, etc. This is based upon the unknown fact that this oven did function properly prior. If it did, the above may apply.

If the oven did function correctly prior, the problem could still be that safety element. There is no means by which to test this element part except to replace it correctly with a new part.

There is a remote possiblity that the oven thermostat control, which is the part directly behind the control knob, may infact be defective and not allowing the extra pilot gas to flow out to enlarge that pilot flame during operation.

However, costs to replace the thermostat should be avoided unless it can be proven this part is definately the direct cause of the problem.

I suggest you consider replacing the safety element, the part which the pilot flame heats first. Most often replacing this part corrects the problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: