dryer stops when start button released

Old 01-03-02, 04:06 PM
Visiting Guest
dryer stops when start button released

We have a Kenmore Elite Gas Dryer
(MOD: 110.70992990) that is suddenly acting up. We hadn't previously had any problems since we bought it at a SEARS outlet warehouse about a year ago. When the Push To Start button is pressed, the drum turns as if it is starting normally, but as soon as the button is released, the drum stops. This behavior is consistent regardless of whether the timer is set on Auto Moisture Sensing Plus or Timed Dry. If the button is pressed in continuously for 15 seconds or so, the drum will continue to turn, but the Moisture Monitor Lights do not light and the dryer does not feel warm inside.

We tried unsuccessfully to put the dryer in Factory Test mode as described in the appliance's Tech Sheet, but were not rewarded with the double beep indicating the the factory test mode was activated.

Can you please help us determine what's wrong and how to fix it?

Old 01-03-02, 04:26 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello Lisa. Welcome to my Gas Appliances forum and our Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

The start button is like the ignition on a car. The button only makes contact to the solenoid inside the motor. Once the solenoid is activated, it will remain activated and keep the motor running.

The most likely cause for the problem is the motor itself. If your planning on removing the motor, first unplug the dryer from the electrical power source.

The make a hand drawing of how the belt is looped around, over and under the pulleys. Then remove the motor and have it tested at any electric motor shop listed in the phone book. Chances are the motors internal contacts are defective.

Another possiblity could be the timer. If the contacts in it fail to remain closed, the entire dryer stops. {Shuts Off}

Holding the start button depressed for 15 or so seconds will not produce any heat in the drum. it takes slightly longer for the burner flame to appear under normal conditions.

Regards & Good Luck
Gas Appliances Forum Moderator
Fast, Fair, Friendly & Highly Efficient Service....
Accurate Power Equipment Company.....TCB4U2B2B
Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Problem Diagnostics Technician.
Please be advised that although I have spent many years in the gas appliance industry, some appliance diagnostic information provided is exclusively from memory....

Old 02-05-02, 09:52 PM
Visiting Guest
Tom:
Thank you for the suggestions. From your response, we decided the problem was over our heads, and called Sears to repair it. Finally, today (after long waits to get appointments and parts), the technician returned to install a new Even Flow Electronic Assembly (looked like a circut board). It did the trick (better have for the $200 it took to get it in.)

In posting my original question, I just wanted to maken sure there wasn't an obvious $2 spare part that we could plunk in ourselves to fix the problem -- I got my answer. Thanks again.

Old 02-06-02, 05:39 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hi: Lisa

Glad you got the dryer problem corrected. Sorry it didn't turn out to be a Do-It-Yourself Project. All too many times it isn't with appliances and other assorted consumer products, that have electronic circuits, controls, boards, etc in them....

Based upon your final reply, often times those simple things that I always suggest checking first to start off with aren't always the real problem.

However, I would not have suggested nor suspected that the electronic circuit board was the culprit nor suggested you replace ithat part first time checking. It could have been simply a switch and all that $$$$ and time would be wasted on un-needed expensive part.

Either way....sometimes a tossup...other times it's a win-win...

Regards,
Forum Moderator
Tom_B

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: