Range burner knobs won't turn on.

Old 01-05-02, 03:45 AM
Visiting Guest
Range burner knobs won't turn on.

After a kitchen remodeling job I reinstalled the Magic Chef gas range with elctronic ignitors (4 years old working when moved)

I have connected gas and 110VAC power, the oven would not come on and the all 4 burner control knobs are locked in the off position.
There is natural gas at the pipe and power is correct, the gas pressure switch behind the gas regulator is on.
Any suggsetions on a reset condition.
The range maintenance people are off till Monday.
Thank you in advance.

Old 01-05-02, 06:38 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello Wolfal. Welcome to my Gas Appliances forum and our Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Rather unique question and condition....

HUMMMM...Thinking.....?????.....Answer found...have to admit I never heard of this exact problem before.

Question:
Are you saying the actual top burner knobs physically {Mechanically} won't rotate??? If so, check for anything that may have fallen between the knobs under the stoves top cover.

Since the appliance was physically moved during the remodeling, anything is or could be possible, that is out of the ordinary and not often covered in a repair service manual.

Unless I missed something along the way while reading your posting or not every detail is covered in your posting, I am temporily at a loss for an exact cause.

Could be I am presently having a "Pre-Senior Moment" too.....
May have to check with my field service agents and inquire from them about this possible problem condition your describing.

Suggestions:
Read the manufacturers online web site for product information, problem possibilities, causes and solving methods, part locations, disassembly, reassembly methods, repair proceedures and instructions, pictorials and schematics, which may be available online.

Regards & Good Luck
Gas Appliances Forum Moderator
Tom_Bart........Fast, Fair, Friendly & Highly Efficient......
TCB4U2B2B.....Company Enterprises.
Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Problem Diagnostics Technician.
Please be advised that although I have spent many years in the gas appliance industry, some appliance diagnostic information provided is exclusively from memory....hopefully whenever a "Pre-Senior Moment" isn't happening....hahaha........

Old 01-05-02, 12:21 PM
Visiting Guest
Tom

Tom, thanks for your reply. I would like to add the following information that might help you think of something else that could be causing this problem.

After I reinstalled stove - I have power and can set temp control for the oven - however, it never rises above the initial 75 degrees and burners never turn on. This indicates to me that there is no gas getting into the line.

This may also be causing the knobs to be locked off because there is no gas coming into the stove top as well. I have disconnected the gas line and cleaned the gas regulator thinking it may have had some dust in the orfice. It did not change anything after I reconnected and tried to turn knobs again. Is there any way to check and see if there is an obstruction in the line?

With the gas line disconnected I can hear the gas coming out of the flexible pipe by turning it on and off. So it is not because there is no gas getting up to the regulator.

Thanks again for any help you might be able to offer. wolfal

tom

Old 01-05-02, 02:04 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello Tom {wolfal}

Now we are cooking. OOPS! Wrong choice of words on my part...
You can't be cooking. Your stove and oven isn't working....

You mentioned gas supply. Cracking a connector and hearing a slight amount of gas is not a real method to determine if gas is in fact coming out of the supply line in sufficient volume and pressure to supply an appliance. However, it is a safe method.

To acutally determine if you have a gas flow problem or pressure problem with the supply pipe, you'll have to fully open the shut off valve for about 2-3 seconds.

CAUTION: Doing the above test can be hazardous to the do-it-yourself repair person. You must be absolutely positive there isn't any other sources of ignitions near by. NONE!!! ZERO!!!

If gas volume flows out with some light force for 2-3 seconds continuously, it can be assumed the gas supply feed pipe is obstruction free.

I am assuming here it could be blocked and or restricted, since remodeling has taken place. Would be the first time a gas flow problem developed under this condition.

Also check the entire gas flex tubing for restrictions and or bends, kinks or blockages, etc. Also the gas inlet to the appliance regulator. Often times the regulators vent becomes restricted with debris. Clean it out ususally solves that problem but not always.

Other times, simply turning on the main gas meter too fast can "LOCK UP" and appliance regulator. Higher then normal pressure at the meter caused by gas company equipment is yet another possibility for "LOCKED UP" appliance regulator.

However, gas company equipment should NEVER be worked on by a plumber, home owner, nor a do-it-yourself person...NEVER!

IF all this fails, the appliance regulator could be "LOCKED UP" as we often say in the business. In this case, it might be best to replace it.

Repairs to a regulator are not easy, fun nor always successful or safe for the do-it-yourself person and many service agents to attempt.

Regards & Good Luck
Gas Appliances Forum Moderator
Tom_Bart........Fast, Fair, Friendly & Highly Efficient......
TCB4U2B2B.....Company Enterprises.
Energy Conservation Consultanting & Natural Gas Appliance Problem Diagnostics Technician Services.

Old 01-09-02, 09:59 AM
Visiting Guest
After putting a service call in on this problem I tried one more time I checked the oven and it did work, I did not wait long enough for the oven to come the first tine around also the broiler worked, than I set out on the range knobs, and overcame the stickiness or what ever it was that was holding them, there is no locks after all, so everything is operational, just for anyones info.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: