Modern Maid gas range ignition

Old 01-10-02, 10:02 AM
Visiting Guest
Modern Maid gas range ignition

This unit has electric ignition which suddenly began sparking regularly while the two burners on the right were on. Upon removing the top of the stove, I found that the device which creates a spark is active on both sides (left and right) of the stove , no matter whether the burners are on or off. I can still turn the burners on, but the constant clicking of the ignition is annoying-is it also dangerous? I don't smell any gas leaking. This range is probably about 12 years old. What can I do? Thank you.

Old 01-10-02, 03:45 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello Housetechnot and Welcome to our Do It Yourself Web Site and my Gas Appliances forum.

If ALL or both of the sparkers are sparking, the most likely cause is a defective capacitor in the spark modual. Spark moduals are not repairable. The entire part must be replaced.

If the sparkers continue to spark, the problem may be isolated to the switch on top of the gas valve. It may not be releasing when the knob is turned out of the lite position.

One some models the flame must impinge on the electrode of the sparker to turn off the sparking action. If this is the case, the electrode could just be dirty but may also be defective.

Replacements are available at the local appliance retail parts store listed in the phone book.

Another cause could be reversed electrical polarity. The plug end will have 3 prongs. It must be directly connected into a properly wired and grounded wall recepticle. Reversed electrical polarity over a long duration of time will destroy the spark module.

DO NOT use 2 prong extension cords to lenghten the existing appliances electrical wire. DO NOT bypass the grounding pin on the end of the appliances electrical cord. Doing either of these will also damage the spark module.

If you attempt to do any repairs, be sure the electrical power is turned off or the stove is unplugged.

Regards & Good Luck
Gas Appliances Forum Moderator
Tom_Bart....Company Enterprises.....TCB4U2B2B
Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Problem Diagnostics Technician.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: