GE Range Broiler not working, everything else works fine

Old 01-11-02, 05:43 AM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy GE Range Broiler not working, everything else works fine

I have not seen this exact problem in any other posts, so I hope you can help. I have a GE XL44 Self-cleaning gas range 1 1/2 years old. The first time I attempted to use the broiler, it didn't work, but the light on the knob came on, and the bake function and self-cleaning function worked fine. Then a month later I turned it on and it worked fine. Three of us were standing in the kitchen, one was in the living room. We were right by the oven and it was closed, broiling. Then all three of us saw what looked like a blue flame shoot out through the grate on the door, but I don't think that's possible. I think it just surged for a moment. Anyway, the person in the other room came in and said they saw the lights flicker. The broiler was still on and seemed to be working fine at this point. So we don't know if there really was a power surge or the oven somehow caused the lights to flicker. We turn the broiler off, and then back on, tried it about twenty times, but it won't work. Since it didn't work the first time I tried it, I'm not sure if this is due to the surge or a faulty appliance. All other functions work. This has a glow coil to light, but I don't see it come on at all when I put the switch in the broil position. Do I need to replace the glow coil? Or does it have some safety feature that when the gas surges, it shuts down completely so as not to cause a leak? Please help, thanks.

Old 01-11-02, 03:53 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Thumbs down Delayed Ignition

Hello T. Matthew. Welcome to my Gas Appliances forum and our Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

I doubt the electrical power had anything to do with the problem description but anything could be possible.

The most likely problem is called delayed ignition. Which means gas comes out of the broilers burner but fails to lite instantly. It's usually caused by a misalignment between the glow coil and the burner.

When a delayed ignition happens, it may cause a flash of flames to exit thru the vent etc. Delayed ignition may also cause an explosion which can blow the oven door off and often it can be heard.

This is not a do-it-yourself type of repair if this is the actual problem. I suggest you contact a local authorized repair dealer to determine the problem and make the correction required.

Regards & Good Luck
Gas Appliances Forum Moderator
Tom_Bart........Fast, Fair, Friendly & Highly Efficient......
TCB4U2B2B.....Company Enterprises.
Energy Conservation Consultanting & Natural Gas Appliance Problem Diagnostics Technician Services.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: