Gas Dryer creates smelly clothes

Old 01-14-02, 02:07 PM
Visiting Guest
Gas Dryer creates smelly clothes

My dryer makes my clothese smell like jetfuel!

PG&E didn't know why the clothes smelled, but said I had a gas leak at the valve (junction of pipe and flexhose) and as a result, they pinched the line and disconnected my dryer.

I ran the dryer without heat (no gas) and the smell is NOT present.

I checked the lint trap and all vents and ductwork. They are clear.

A plumber is coming to my house tomorrow to fix the gas leak. Can I expect the smell to be fixed too?

What else could be cuasing the smelly clothes?

Old 01-14-02, 07:41 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello kipi. Welcome to my Gas Appliances forum and our Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

If the smell is a smell of jetfuel or kerosene, chances are there isn't any natural gas leakage. The odor is do to the useage of some type of petroleum based product used inside the house.

The kerosene odor is nothing to worry about.

It's a common problem and usually the result of some petroleum product recently used in the home. Could be an oil based paint, a stain, wood finishing or sealer product, etc.

Any product that contains a flammable solvent or oil based product will do this. I bet you had one of those products used in the home? Prior to this, the dryer odor didn't exist and it will be gone as soon as the product dries.

Best thing to do is ventilate the house as best as possible. Once the drying cycle is completed, set the control to AIR FLUFF for ten minutes. This will clear the odor from the clothes. Don't 4get to switch the control back to the regularly used dry setting when done.

Regards & Good Luck
Gas Appliances Forum Moderator
Fast, Fair, Friendly & Highly Efficient Service....
Accurate Power Equipment Company.....TCB4U2B2B
Energy Conservation Consultant Services & Natural Gas Appliance Problem Diagnostics Technician.

Old 01-15-02, 09:23 AM
Visiting Guest
RE: Smelly Gas Dryer

Tom,

PG&E says there was a gas leak and that has to be repaired. However, I trust your advice when you say that a gas leak may not be responsible for the clothes' smell. The dryer is in the garage. We did just have the floors refinished inside the house, but I fail to see how that could affect the garage. We have not opened any chemicals in the garage. Hmmmmmmmm

Old 01-15-02, 07:08 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hi: kipi

Magic words were MOST LIKELY not a gas leak. Which means there could have been a minor gas leak {or that's what you were told to justify the call} and a petroleum based product used inside the house.

Not personally dealing with the service call, I have to say most likely. How the gas leak wasn't noticed prior a can't explain.

However, based upon your problem description, I was correct. A petroleum based product used inside the house.

How the odor got into the garage? I can't explain once again because I am not there in person but rest assured, it always does permeate everywhere....

Regards & Good Luck, A Forum Host & Moderator.
Tom_Bart.......Fast, Fair, Friendly & Highly Efficient.......

TCB4U2B2B....Company Enterprises.
Energy Conservation Consultant Services & Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Old 01-15-02, 07:09 PM
jeff1
Visiting Guest
Cool

Hi,

If no gas leak detected...this might help....

http://www.applianceaid.com/gas_dryer.html#odour

jeff.

Old 01-16-02, 07:51 AM
Visiting Guest
Smelly clothing now have a pleasent odor

A plumber fixed valve. The dryer works great and the jetfuel odor is gone! I don't know if it was a gas leak or something else, but I'm thrilled that it won't cost me any more money to fix the problem.

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

dk

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: