stove pilot light keeps dying

Old 01-17-02, 12:06 PM
jmasek
Visiting Guest
stove pilot light keeps dying

I have an older (mid-1980's) gas stove/oven unit. The pilot light for the stove (one light for two burners) keeps going out. More interestingly, it always goes out when the oven is turned on.

Does this indicate some restriction of the gas line coming into the unit? Or some blockage of the pilot light line? Anyone seen this sort of thing before?

Thanks!

Old 01-17-02, 08:24 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello J. Masek. Welcome to my Gas Appliances forum and our Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

There are several possible causes for the problem descrption.

The pilot flame may be too low or the pilot tube is restricted.
The pilot flames cup around the flame may be dirty or the openings around the base of the pilot flame cup may be blocked.

The appliance regulator vent cap could be restricted.

A sign of a restricted vent cap on a stoves appliance regulator cap often be determined if the other burner flames on the stove top appear smaller when the oven burner is on or the stove top burners do not lite or lite slowly, this is an indication the appliance regulator may have a restricted vent or is defective.

The gas supply line may be restricted or there could be a restriction anywhere within the gas supply system.

The exhaust vent of the oven may be directed towards the pilot flame by an object on the stove top or by aluminum foil on or covering the exhaust vent or somehow directing the venting fumes towards the pilot flame.

I have encountered 100's of possible problems such as you have described. Many of which are simple to correct if one knows what to look for. Good Luck.

Regards,
Gas Appliances Forum Moderator
Tom_Bart........Fast, Fair, Friendly & Highly Efficient......
TCB4U2B2B.....Company Enterprises.
Energy Conservation Consulting Services & Gas Appliance Problem Diagnostics Technician Services.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: