Thermocoupler

Old 01-23-02, 02:24 PM
Visiting Guest
Question Thermocoupler

I had the thermocoupler replaced on my furnace today because the pilot light wouldn't stay lit. The service tech who replaced it (in the future it will be done by my husband) said that they should only last about a year and that we are lucky we got two years out of it. Is this correct? In other homes I have lived in, I don't recall having to replace the thermocoupler. Thanks for your help!

Theresa

Old 01-23-02, 07:24 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello Theresa and Welcome to the Heating and Cooling Appliance forum and our Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Basically thermocouples have no warranty. No one knows for sure what the normal life expectancy of the part is or should be.

Ususally the part is only warrantied for 90 days or less, depending upon the installers individual parts policy.

There are too many factors that have to be considered in regarding the life of the part. However, by standards of years ago, todays parts are all built cheaply and thermocouples are no exception.

Turning a pilot light off and relighting it for each season also effects the part. The heating and cooling of the part may and usually does shorten the life of the thermocouple.

One reason gas water heater thermocouples seem to last for years........however, there still isn't any iron clad warranty...

Old 01-24-02, 01:38 PM
Visiting Guest
Thanks so much for your answer. I just wanted to make sure the installer wasn't handing us a line of bull. I don't mind changing it every year if need be, now that we know how to do it ourselves, since the part itself is inexpensive.

Theresa

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: