Pilot light gas fireplace

Old 01-31-02, 04:36 PM
wayno
Visiting Guest
Pilot light gas fireplace

My Pilot light won't stay lit, when I hold the button it and spark it it light right away but when I take my hand away from the button, the pilot goes away, How and what should I check , I have already taken the glass off and cleaned out all of the inside, All I can guess is what looks to be thermocouple( ceramic cartidge with a wire sticking out of , it and Some other cylindrcal post right beside the pilot light, I have also checked the wall switch, it seems to be working OK

Old 01-31-02, 05:32 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: Wayno

Based upon the problem description you provided, the pilot generator is the most likely part that needs to be replaced.

Gas logs that have a remotely installed on a wall mounted switch or a built-in on and off switch use a pilot generator to produce the DC current needed to operate.

The element end of a pilot generator looks similar to that of a thermocouple, except the element end is larger. It is installed in the pilot assembly and the pilot flames encircle the element.

A pilot generator for a gas log appliance can be identified as having two wire leads extending from the element end. These 2 wires leads, are attached directly to the body of the gas valve with small screws.

The pilot assembly will have 2 sources of flames. One source will encircle the pilot generators element and the other will be a pointed flame facing over the burner.

Both pilot flames must be all blue in color. There should not be any yellow color in either of the pilot flames. The flame must be the correct size to provide both enough heat to the pilot generator allowing the element tip to turn red in color and provide a positive source of ignition for the gas coming out of the burner.

Most problems with gas log appliances can be easily corrected simply by cleaning out the pilot assembly with a brust of compressed air. After doing so, retry the results.

If the pilot flame continues to turn off or the appliances main burner does not turn on, either the pilot assembly is still dirty and or the pilot generator is defective and will have to be replaced.

Pilot generators come in several sizes. When replacing a pilot generator on any gas appliance, it is adviseable to take the existing part to the local appliance part store and replace it with an identical replacement part.

It's also possible the magneto head, contained within the body of the gas valve, is defective. The gas valves entire assembly is non repairable. If tested and determined to be defective by the appliance parts person, replacement is the only option.

Most likely but not always, simply replacing the Pilot Generator resolves the problem of pilot outage and or inoperative operation.

Regards & Good Luck
Forum Moderator
TCB4U2B2B Company Enterprises.
Fast, Fair, Friendly & Efficient.....
Energy Conservation Consultants & Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: