Amana gas oven won't light

Old 02-13-02, 07:23 PM
shakeslady
Visiting Guest
Question Amana gas oven won't light

The oven on my three year old Amana range (model ARG7301) suddenly won't light. Everything worked fine the last time I used it about a week ago.

It has an electronic ignition system (no pilot light). I do not smell or hear gas when I turn the oven on.

The stovetop burners and the broiler work fine. Any ideas on what the problem could be?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-02, 05:45 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Glow Igniter

Hello shakeslady. Welcome my friend to my Gas Appliances forum and our Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

The most likely cause may be weak and or burned out glow igniter. Be sure the clock is set correctly and the selector is set to manual and not in a timed bake selection or any other selection. Be sure there is electrical power to the appliance.

A hot glow igniter, working correctly, will glow an intense bright yellow orange in color. Too much orange, any reddish color or a dull orange means the glow igniter is weak. A weak igniter also needs to be replaced.

If the igniter fails to glow at all and all other selections and options are set correctly, the coil will need to be replaced with a new part. Replacing it should solve the problem.

Do not assume the glow igniter is defective simply because it fails to glow. If there isn't any current flowing to the glow igniter, test for electrical continuity to and from the thermostat. Remembering that the optional selections also control the ovens functions, test for continuity to and through those parts also.

Ovens with touch pad controls use electronic computerized circuit boards. This part could be removed and taken to the local appliance parts dealer for testing.

It's always possible there is another defective part or switch that is in line electrically between the thermostat and the glow coil that is defective, incorrectly set, etc. and not allowing current to flow through the entire circuit. You may also need to verify if there is electrical continuity through the entire wiring system.

Be sure to unplug the power first. Each wire should be checked through it's entire length. Check each electrical connection, terminal and junction connection. Also check for loose wires between the glow igniter, gas valve and every switch.

Also check for electrical continuity through the fuse. The fuses element may visually appear to be unbroken but electrically not functioning internally. The fuse is generally located at the end of the electrical power cord close to the oven burner gas valve.

FYI:
The do-it-yourself person can do electrical tests and continuity tests on several of the parts often used in ovens. However, neither of these tests will provide proof positive the part being tested is actually functioning correctly. Therefore, do not rely solely on either test.

TIP:
Keep in mind, that the only positive proof any part is functioning correctly, is to carefully remove the part or parts you suspect to be the potential culprit, and have the local appliance parts store person run the required tests to help make the final determination.

SUGGESTION:
Read the manufacturers online web site for additional product problem solving information. Check the ARCHIVES, within this forum, for other postings on this topic and the replies offered. Within the archives of this forum, locate the "Gas Valves and Glow Igniter" posting for additional do-it-yourself information.

Appliance parts dealers carry replacement parts for all appliances and are listed in the phone book under appliances.

Cautionary Reminder Note:
Before attempting any repairs, be sure to unplug the appliance from the wall receptacle power source first.

Read The Sticky Advice And Information Note In This Topic:
Range-Stove-Oven-Broiler Basic Help Information & Manufacturers Web Sites. Range/Stove/Oven/Broiler Info, Leak Detection, Fault Codes, Fuel Conversion & Links - DoItYourself.com Community Forums

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 01-02-09 at 06:47 AM.
Old 01-02-09, 05:07 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The oven on my Amana range (model ARG7303LL) suddenly won't light. Everything worked fine the last time I used it.

It has an electronic ignition system (no pilot light). I do not smell or hear (propane)gas when I turn the oven on. The igniter glows brightly but the gas never comes on. I did try banging around and then the oven lit.

The igniter for the broiler glows at the same intensity and lights every time.

The stovetop burners and the broiler work fine. Any ideas on what the problem could be?

Thanks.
Dave

Old 01-02-09, 07:04 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Arrow Replace The HSI (Hot Surface Igniter)

Hello Dave and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and to the Gas Appliances topic.

As mentioned in the post you replied to with my original reply quoted below:

The most likely cause may be weak and or burned out glow igniter. Be sure the clock is set correctly and the selector is set to manual and not in a timed bake selection or any other selection...A hot glow igniter, working correctly, will glow an intense bright yellow orange in color. Too much orange, any reddish color or a dull orange means the glow igniter is weak. A weak igniter also needs to be replaced.
The fact that you can rap/bang on the gas control valve and the burner lights, indicates the HSI is WEAK. Replace it or remove the broilers HSI and install it into the oven and note the results. Very likely the broilers HSI will allow the ovens gas valve to open automatically as it should.

Do the above and repost the results....

Cautionary Reminder Note:
Before attempting any repairs, be sure to unplug the appliance from the wall receptacle power source first.

Read The Sticky Advice And Information Note In This Topic:
Range-Stove-Oven-Broiler Basic Help Information & Manufacturers Web Sites. Range/Stove/Oven/Broiler Info, Leak Detection, Fault Codes, Fuel Conversion & Links - DoItYourself.com Community Forums

Retail parts dealers and appliances parts stores can also help determine what the possible problem may be based upon that specific brand and model. Bring the make, model and serial numbers. Dealers and appliances parts stores are listed in the phone book.

Use the reply button again to add additional information or questions. Using the reply button keeps or moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically and keeps all communications on this subject in this thread.

Old 11-07-12, 02:26 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I recently changed the orifices on my stove, the top burners work ok, but i cant get the oven to light, the glow ignition seem to work ok, when i turned the oven valve down is it possible i turned it to tight not allowing gas to get to the oven burner?

Old 11-07-12, 09:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,042 Votes on 966 Posts
Why did you changes the orifices ? Not sure what you mean by turning the valve down.