installing new gas stove

Old 02-16-02, 11:09 AM
kennynstpete
Visiting Guest
Question installing new gas stove

I live in a mobile home. I am installing a new gas stove, which uses a 5/8 inch OD flexible supply pipe. The nipple on the incoming gas pipe is 1/2 inch. ( it is soldered on ) What can I use to make the transition to the larger fitting? I would also like to add a shutoff valve to the stove, which It currently lacks.

Old 02-16-02, 05:48 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Lightbulb In My Professional Opinion

Hello kennynstpete. Welcome my friend to my Gas Appliances forum and our Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

I have to assume that the supply line is 1/2 inch tin lined copper, if it has a pre-existing soldered on 1/2 fitting. If this is correct, installing any fitting or gas flex line of a larger diameter will produce little benefit.

Therefore, replace the flex connector with a 1/2 inch connector to match the already installed 1/2 adaptor. Then install a reducer bell or use a reducer elbow if space is limited, on the stoves intake pipe manifold.

Next, install a short pipe of 1/2 diameter x 1/2 long nipple into the other end of the bell reducer or elbow. On this nipple install the female to male adaptor, then connect the 1/2 flex to it.

I realize that the above instructions may not be all inclusive of the parts needed or instructions. Also that the instructions lack the needed shut-off valve. Therefore, at times we have to improvise, based upon prior experience and knowledge....

In regards to the shut-off valve, one cannot be installed on any adaptor. The Shut-off valves female ends are pipe threads, which are different then adaptor threads. The two different threads are not compatible. Careful visual inspection will reveal the differences.

If you want, need or are required to have a shut-off valve installed on the gas supply line, you may need to hire the professional services of a licensed plumber or installer for this part of the task.

Regards & Good Luck
Gas Appliances Forum Moderator
Tom_Bart........"Fast, Fair, Friendly & Highly Proficient"......
TCB4U2B2B.....Company Enterprises.
Energy Conservation Consulting Services & Gas Appliance Problem Diagnostics Technician Services.

Old 02-17-02, 02:14 PM
kennynstpete
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up installing new gas stove

Thanks for your help. I have begun to realize how little I know about plumbing. I am still confused as to what size the adaptor ( which is what I was calling a nipple) is . It is just slightly smaller than the female threads on the flex pipe. The actual gas pipe coming out of the floor is 3/4" black pipe. There is an adaptor attached to it with a nipple. The copper tubing was attached to this adaptor and then to the old stove. I also didn't mention that I use LP gas, not natural gas. So perhaps the hookup is slightly different. As you mentioned I may have to have someone come in and install the darned thing. I really hate to since it seems this is something which I could do myself if I just knew what size it is.

Old 02-17-02, 03:07 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: kennynstpete

Now that you mentioned black iron pipe, the adaptor on that pipe can be removed, after the main gas is turned off at the meter.

Then remove that adaptor, with adaptor in hand, visit the local hardware store and buy a shut-off valve the same inside diameter [3/4} as the female inside diameter {3/4} of the adaptor.

Install the shut-off valve on the black iron pipe using only OIL as a lube. No pipe tape etc. needed. Just OIL! Then install the flex to the shut-off valve.

Next install the appliance regulator {ARROW pointing towards the stove} onto the stoves gas inlet pipe CAREFULLY. Apply only OIL on the threads first, then only SNUG UP the part. Overtightening it will crack the housing!!!

Then install a short pipe nipple into the appliance regulators other end. Again CAREFULLY so as not to CRACK the housing.

Then install the male/female adaptor to the pipe, attach the other end of the connector to the newly installed adaptor and PRESTO.

The job is ALMOST done!

Once everything is connected, turn on the gas and use a slightly thick mix of soapy water to test for LEAKS! Test every connection TWICE before concluding that the entire "Do-It-Yourself" project is completed.

For the benefit of any others whom may be reading this topic...consider this...some projects are worth paying a Professional to do....and WHY it's costs a minor fee....

Good Luck
Tom_B.....
Not Cheap to hire.
However, always "Fast, Fair, Friendly & Highly Proficient"......

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: