Pilot light won't stay lit

Old 02-17-02, 08:20 AM
KobeFan
Visiting Guest

I have a Roper 1262LOA s/n 2P61029 that the pilot light for the oven won't stay on. My wife & I put down a tile floor and after putting the oven back the oven won't light unless we turn on a burner on the range full blast & then turn on the oven. Any ideas? I've tried cleaning everything I can see & generally just poking around but don't see a problem. The oven is also quite old, but everything works fine as long as we light the oven by turning on a range burner first. Any help would be appreciated greatly. Thanks.

KobeFan

Old 02-17-02, 09:37 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Lightbulb Possible Problem Solutions

Hello Kobe Fan. Welcome my friend to my Gas Appliances forum and our Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

An unusual, unique question and problem you posted. Requires thinking....hummm.

Other then the usual check all the selections and control settings and be sure each is set to manual, you may find one selection that needs correcting.

If not, turn on one top burner at a time to the maximum flame size. Then turn on another burner and notice any visual changes to any other existing ON burner flame. There should not be any visual size or characteristic changes to the already on burners.

If there is, the appliance regulator may be defective or the gas flow volume may be restricted. If the gas flow is restricted, the flame sizes will decrease.

If this is the case, the entire appliance will have to be either slide forward or away from the wall and checked for any kinks, bends or restrictions in the flex gas line.

Additionally, check and verify if the shut off valve is in the fully opened position. A partially closed valve or restriction in the flex line can or may cause the problem description you described.

If you require additional help and want to post any additional information, kindly use the REPLY button.

By doing so, the additional information you add will remain within this posting {Thread} and allow the other readers of this topic to follow the topic and allow me to post any further helpful advice and suggestions.

Regards & Good Luck
Gas Appliances Forum Moderator
Tom_Bart........"Fast, Fair, Friendly & Highly Proficient"......
TCB4U2B2B.....Company Enterprises.
Energy Conservation Consulting Services & Gas Appliance Problem Diagnostics Technician Services.

Old 02-17-02, 10:48 AM
KobeFan
Visiting Guest

Tom,

I checked the top burners one at a time & set to the maximum flame size. There are NO noticeable visual changes to any other existing ON burner flames; I also checked & verified the shut off valve is in the fully opened position. The flex line didn't have any kinks but had a few bends. I made the flex hose as straight as possible with no change in luck to the problem. Once I get the pilot light lit the oven will work ok, but as soon as I turn off the oven the pilot goes out right away. Is there something that is just clogged maybe or a part that may be bad? I don't see an obvious problem, and it's crazy the problem starting when the oven was disconnected while I put in the tile floor, but was reconnected the following day. Does it sound likeI'm in over my head? Do I need an expert? Thanks for your reply.

KobeFan

Old 02-17-02, 11:55 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: KobeFan

Now I am wondering who is in over their head?
You or me?. Maybe both of us? Most likely me.......

If you have to push and hold down any pilot reset button to lite this pilot, chances are the "Pilot Generator" is too weak to hold the tiny solenoid valve inside the gas valve opened.

If this is the case, the generator element will need to be replaced. This situation often happens when either a pilot generator or thermocouple cools off from pilot outage for any reason.

If the oven must have electrical power to operate, then the oven does not have a pilot generator. It has an element called a "Flame Switch." If this is the case, that element would not effective the problem in the manner your describing.

However, it would or may indicate the gas valve it self is defective but not very likely or enough to cause me suspicions. Possible but not probable.....hummmmm....??????....thinking. On my day off too...hahaha.

Another very rare possibility is the actual thermostat is the problem. Coincidental to the appliance moving but possible. To very this possibility, I would need to know where the pilot gas comes from???

If the gas to the pilot is upplied from the thermostat, it's a likely possibility the thermostat is the direct problem. If the pilot gas comes from gas valve, not a problem.

Usually but not always, if pilot gas comes from the gas valve, it's a "Flame Switch" safety device. A pilot flame that heats a "Flame Switch" safety device element could also get it's gas suply from the thermostat. Can you tell me where the gas supply to the pilot comes from?????

If and when we ever resolve this unique problem, we both shall deserve a BEER!.....

Gas Appliances Forum Moderator
Tom_Bart.......TCB4U2B2B.....Company Enterprises.
Energy Conservation Consulting Services & Gas Appliance Problem Diagnostics Technician Services.

Old 02-17-02, 12:48 PM
KobeFan
Visiting Guest
Pilot Light Won't Stay Lit

Tom,
I don't have to hold down any kind of pilot reset button; my oven must have electrical power to operate; the best I can tell.

The best way I can describe it is that to light the oven I have to turn on any burner on the range full blast until you see the igniter sparking; once I see that you can also see it sparking in the lower broiler. Then I simply turn on the gas & the oven will light. Once lit everything is ok until turned off. Seems like there just isn't any gas there to keep the flame lit once I turn off the gas.

The pilot gas comes from a comes from a gas valve that when I trace goes back to heating unit downstairs in the garage. I also don't have a valve right at the back of the oven to turn off the gas. I must go down to the garage to do that. This is where I checked to make sure the gas was on fully.

Not sure if there is a "Flame Switch" safety device. Sorry to tie you up on your day off. I just know it's gonna turn out to be something stupid that I should have fixed myself.

KobeFan

Old 02-17-02, 02:34 PM
Admin Emeritus
I see said the blind man.

Hi: KobeFan

Your oven has a spark ignition pilot lighting system.
Which now changes the entire complexion of the situation.

The sparker in the oven does not activate {begin sparking} until you turn on a top burner valve. When the top burner sparkers activate {begin sparking} so does the oven sparker. I see.

Therefore, either the switch on the thermostats stem [under the temp adjustment knob, which pulls off} or the internal switch, inside the thermostat, isn't working, a wire or connection somewhere between the thermostat and or sparker in the oven or at the spark control module, etc. has come loose or is not firmly connected, etc....WOW! That's a mouth full.

May as well spill it all quickly, before a "Senior Moment" begins setting in....hahaha...

There may be a seperate sparking module for the oven sparker, but not likely if the top burner sparkers also activate the oven sparker. If your not sure of the condition of the module, have it tested at the local retail appliance part store listed in the phone book directory.

If all else fails to resolve the problem, replace the "Fluid Safety Element," sparker rod and the module also. the "Fluid Safety Element" is the element the pilot flame is heating. It's yet another type of safety device which needs the pilot flame to keep it hot to activate the gas valve.

Anyway, the additional above items to check will keep anybody more busy then expected. That's not meant to offend you or infer anything negetive mind ya. Included solely as a bit of notice to others reading this topic that what appears to be a seemingly easy task can quickly turn in a major event....

Many others besides you and I are reading this topic too and they may not want to devote the time and effort you have towards resolving this problem. I commend you. Keep plugging.

OH YEAH!!!!....BTW: You work.....I'll keep the BEER cold....

Tom_B

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: