Gas Range

Old 02-21-02, 11:33 AM
mikey1301
Visiting Guest
Question Gas Range

I just moved into an apartment and we are having problems with the gas range. Its a GE model, fairly new with electric ignitions. The problem is that after all day at work, when I come home and turn either the oven or the burners on, they will not light. The electric sparks fire as does the glow plug in the oven.

Additionally, if the knobs for either the burners or the oven are turned on (past LIGHT), there is no gas smell.

However, after about 45 minutes of trying, the stove works fine, for no apparent reason.

Any idea what the problem could be?

Thanks for any help!

Old 02-21-02, 05:26 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello Mikey and Welcome to our Do It Yourself Web Site and my Gas Appliances forum.

The condition you described may not be stove related. Based upon the info provided, the problem may be a gas pressure problem, gas meter problem and or gas meters regulator related problem.

A complex task of testing and checking much too detailed to explain in a text only forum reply. Nor would it be a do-it-yourself task. Suffice it to say the problem may be an over pressurization condition caused by a defective gas companies regulator, etc.

The problem, if gas related as described above, should also be effecting all other apartment units on the same gas supply pipe. {Header} A gas meter header is the pipe line bank that has several or many individual meters on it, one to each apartment.

If any of the above is the case, only the gas suppling utility should attempt any checks and or repairs. Ask the manager and other tenants if they noticed or have the same or similar conditions. If so, contact the gas supplier for testing and repairs to their equipment.

If the condition ONLY effects your appliance, it may be the stoves appliance gas regulator or the gas meter and equipment suppling gas to your individual apartment if your unit isn't on a header.

Either way, since you do not own the stove nor the gas meter and gas suppling equipment, contact the management.

Professional help will be needed depending on what equipment is in need of service and or repairs. Attempt no adjustments or repairs on your own. Call for help.

Regards & Good Luck
Gas Appliances Forum Moderator
Tom_Bart........"Fast, Fair, Friendly & Highly Proficient"......
TCB4U2B2B.....Company Enterprises.
Energy Conservation Consulting Services & Gas Appliance Problem Diagnostics Technician Services.
Although I have spent many years in the natural gas industry and gas appliance industry, some appliance information and or diagnostic information provided is exclusively from memory. Hopefully whenever a "Senior Moment" isn't in progress...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: