gas lines

Old 02-21-02, 01:56 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
gas lines

Is teflon tape alright to use on gas fittings or should I use something else?

Old 02-21-02, 02:59 PM
A
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hey,
Check the NEC and make sure to check your local building codes too!Alot of areas differ it it's application.Some might say you can use teflon while in another state you could be required to use pipe dope.

Old 02-21-02, 05:55 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello Dave and Welcome to our Do It Yourself Web Site and my Gas Appliances forum.

Much of what A Brewer mentioned may be correct. Basically sound advice. The basic rule of thumb is to ONLY apply pipe tape to pipe joints and threads. Applying pipe thread compound {Dope} may also be used.

However, do not aply pipe tape to the connector threads. Connector threads are those inside the female cap ends of the flex connector and or those on the adaptors. Doing so usually creates more problems of gas leaks that it was intended to solve.

Flex connector threads either should be installed dry or apply a light oil to the threads only. Wiggle the connector, as you hand thread it onto the adaptor or shut-off valve, then only snug it up with a wrench. Too much tightening can damage the threads too...

Read the RECENT postings & ARCHIVES, within this forum, for other postings on this topic and the replies offered.

Should you require additional help and or want to post any additional updated information, kindly use the REPLY button.

By doing so, the additional information you add will remain within this posting {Thread} and allow the other readers of this topic to follow the topic and allow me to post any further helpful advice and suggestions.

Regards & Good Luck
Gas Appliances Forum Moderator
Tom_Bart........"Fast, Fair, Friendly & Highly Proficient"......
TCB4U2B2B.....Company Enterprises.
Energy Conservation Consulting Services & Gas Appliance Problem Diagnostics Technician Services.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: