Wall Oven Installation

Old 02-26-02, 04:38 AM
compuhelp
Visiting Guest
Gas Wall Oven Help please

Hello,

I'm in a big jam.

I purchased 2 Jenn-Air gas wall ovens for installation under a countertop.

We're ready to install and Jenn-Air tells me that I absolutely must leave 12" of space under the oven.

Well, the oven is 34" high, which doesn't leave any space under the oven.

So, my question is: Is this really a safety issue, or just a regulation?

If it's a matter of code, I'll handle it. If doing this will endanger me and my family, then I can't.

Problem is, we don't have the electric capacity to put in electric ovens.

Thank you very much,

Joseph R. Skoler
joseph@compuhelp.com

Old 02-26-02, 07:07 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello Joseph. Welcome my friend to my Gas Appliances forum and our Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

It's a safety and operational issue. If the manufacturer warns that your about to do an improper installation, don't do it. The ovens need to space for ventilation and radiating heat generated.

You may have purchased the incorrect models for the intended purpose. Check with the dealer, from whom you made the purchase, on the issue and exchange the units for those which are designed to operate, as you intend to install them.

I know of no other safe alternative. Installing the current ovens as intended will void the warranty, ovens may not operate as designed nor intended and there may be a risk of fire.

Regards & Good Luck
Gas Appliances Forum Moderator
Tom_Bart........"Fast, Fair, Friendly & Highly Proficient"......
TCB4U2B2B.....Company Enterprises.
Energy Conservation Consulting Services & Gas Appliance Problem Diagnostics Technician Services.

Old 02-27-02, 04:23 AM
compuhelp
Visiting Guest
Hello Tom,

Thank you very much for your response.

I've been trying to get an answer to the question of why the rule is there, but cannot.

The vendor is Sears, and they are not technical.

Jenn-Air just won't give a straight answer.

The GC and plumber on the job think it will be fine, but want to understand why the rule.

I've since discovered that, of all the manufacturers, there is only 1 that makes gas ovens for undercounter installations -- Stoves of America. Unfortunately, they have discontinued their line of stoves.

Seems like a void in the marketplace to me.

Regards,

Joseph R. Skoler
joseph@compuhelp.com

Old 02-27-02, 06:02 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: Joseph

Your question was answered. I may not have been totally clear in my orginal reply. Kindly excuse me. One major reason is for air intake ventilation. Which means air vents for combustion air.

Most likely those air intake vents are located beneath the ovens cabinet. Which means the 12 inches allows for the vents to be cleared of any restrictions.

Air intake to support the combustion {Burning Process} has to come from somewhere. Possibly a louvered front kick board beneath the cabinet, etc to allow air in.

Somehow air must entire the ovens vents. So to must the oven have clearance space to radiate whatever heat is reflected through the ovens metal cabinet.

Many factors to consider besides just sticking some styles of ovens in the spot that looks right or is convenient.

Rules and codes aside. It's an operational and safety issue. Like you stated orginally, if you can't do it for a safety issue or reason, you won't. Therefore, don't.

Regards,
TomB

Old 03-01-02, 03:01 AM
compuhelp
Visiting Guest
Got it.

There are vents on the front of the unit, top and bottom, but, as say, there's more engineering than I can know simply by looking at the outside of the unit.

Very much appreciate your advice.

We've decided to go with the Stoves of America units, 750GRF. It's the ONLY gas oven in America that can work undercounter. Unfortunately, they're discontinuing their line.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: