gas dryer won't stay hot

Old 02-26-02, 05:54 PM
jlucas3
Visiting Guest
Question gas dryer won't stay hot

I have a gas dryer, Signature brand (by Montgomery Ward), 15 pounder, model LNC-8524B. When I turn it on, it lights fine but stays hot for only about 2 minutes, then the flame goes out. The motor and the electric starter keep going but there's no heat. I removed the back panel and took a look, even tried lighting the gas manually (danger!) but no luck. Seems like it's just burning the gas in the line, like maybe it's a partially clogged valve. Am I right in assuming the gas isn't getting through?

Old 02-26-02, 06:22 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Restricted Exhaust Vent and or Defective Solenoids

Hello J. Lucas. Welcome to my Gas Appliances forum and our Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Easiest to correct and most likely problem could be a restricted exhaust vent. The simple test would be to remove the vent from the back of the dryer.

Then attempt to dry a load as normal and see what happens. If the problem is resolved, the vent is restricted. Next paragraph explains how to correct the problem.

Remove the entire vent from the back of the dryer and clear or clean it out all the way to the outside hood. Also be sure the flapper door inside the exhaust vent hood is free to open and close.

If the same condition continues, after removing the vent from the back of the dryer and attempting to dry a load as usual, it's possible the dryer has Defective Solenoids.

There are two solenoids...both are on top of the gas valve.
Solenoids also supply voltage to the glow coil and are part of the electrical loop.

All terminals on both solenoids must have continuity. If not, you'll need to remove them from the top of the gas valve by removing the entire gas valve assembly first.

Remove both solenoids off the gas valve body by removing the hold down cover plate and replace them both if defective. They are sold only in pairs.

Or take the entire gas valve unit to your local appliance parts store and have the entire assembly and all the parts tested individually and as an assembly.

FYI:
The do-it-yourself person can do electrical tests and continuity tests on several of the parts. There are parts such as flame sensors, timers, solenoids, gas valves, etc. when neither of these tests will provide proof positive the part is actually functioning correctly. Therefore, do not rely solely on either test.

TIP:
The only positive proof any part is functioning correctly, is to carefully remove the part or parts you suspect to be the potential problems, and have the local appliance parts store person run the required tests.

Appliance parts dealers carry replacement parts for all appliances and are listed in the phone book under appliances.

Refer to the manufacturers online web site for additional product information, problem solving methods, pictorials drawings and schematics, should they be available.

Read the RECENT posting and the ARCHIVES, within this forum, for other postings on this topic and the replies offered. The condition your appliance has, has been covered many times.

Regards & Good Luck
Gas Appliances Forum Moderator
TCB4U2B2B.....Company Enterprises
Energy Conservation Consulting Services & Gas Appliance Problem Diagnostics Technician.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: