Gas Oven Cleaning

Old 03-03-02, 10:26 AM
jenhoot
Visiting Guest
Question Any danger in cleaning my gas oven?

I have a gas oven and I can't put off cleaning it anymore. I've got a can of oven cleaner, but I'm afraid that spraying it near (not on, of course) the pilot light could be a very bad idea. The pilot light is not in the area of the stove I want to clean, but it is beneath it, accessible by 4 vents.

Is there anybody out there who can tell me to either toss the oven cleaner or proceed without fear?

Thanks.

Old 03-03-02, 02:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 265 Upvotes on 216 Posts
For starters, check the label on the can; should give you instructions and warnings to cover both gas and electric. Worst case you cut the gas, clean, and then turn gas back on and light the pilots. Right off the top of my head I don't think the cleaner itself is flammable. A can of Easy-Off I have in my garage says to avoid spraying near the pilot, but I suspect that's to avoid extinguishing it. I lit a match and sparayed it with the Easy-Off; match went out.

Old 03-03-02, 03:55 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Arrow Read & Follow The Products Label Directions

Hello Jenhoot. Welcome to my Gas Appliances forum.

Best and safest method is to extinguish all pilots. Turning off the gas is not necessary. It's optional. Pilot gas emitting only from pilots being out is not dangerous nor harmful.

DO NOT spray directly onto the pilot assembly. Cover it with a dampened cloth or moistened paper towel.

DO NOT spray the oven temperature sensor suspended inside the ovens baking compartment either. Also cover it with a dampened cloth or moistened paper towel.

Oven cleaner is caustic. Spraying the temperature sensing element, inside the ovens baking compartment, will pitt the metal and the element will lose it's ability to sense temperature correctly.

Once this happens...bye bye temp control...
Hello replacement thermostat.....$$$$$

Cover and or remove the interior light bulb. If you remove the bulb, fill the socket with a piece of dry paper towel.

Wear gloves and eye protection. Have plenty of ventilation, read the products label and follow the instruction and directions as indicated. Safety is no accident.

Should you require additional assistance, want to post any additional updated information, final conclusion results and or care to send a thanks Tom..........kindly use the REPLY button.

By doing so, the additional information you add will remain within this posting {Thread} and allow the other readers of this topic to follow the topic and allow me to post any further helpful advice and suggestions.

Regards & Good Luck
Gas Appliances Forum Moderator
Tom_Bart........"Fast, Fair, Friendly & Highly Proficient"......
TCB4U2B2B.....Company Enterprises.
Energy Conservation Consulting Services & Gas Appliance Problem Diagnostics Technician Services.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: