Gas oven - internal circuit breaker?

Old 03-07-02, 01:12 PM
heacoxs
Visiting Guest
Question Gas oven - internal circuit breaker?

I have a Magic Chef gas wall oven that has a couple of electrical components: the ignition, the clock and the light. It has been exhibiting some perplexing behavior:

1. When I select a temp, the oven lights and begins to heat.
2. At about the 150 - 200 degree mark, the whole thing shuts down, electrical and gas components
3. Once cooled, the electrical system comes back on again (the clock is reset and blinking)

I concluded that there had to be a circuit breaker of some sort in the thing which was tripped - what was weird to me was that it automatically turned itself back on. I'm used to having to reset breakers or replace fuses.

So then:

1. A friend and I ran an experiment, putting the oven sensor in ice water while the stove heated. Even when the actual oven temp was 300 (measured by a standalone oven thermometer), the oven did not turn off. We concluded that (a) the actual temperature of the unit was not causing the unit to shut down and (b) the reading from the sensor was likely causing the problem.

2. So we replaced the entire thermostat/sensor control, and for a few hours, yippee, it worked fine. Then, it began to exhibit the same behavior as before.

So I conclude from this that the problem is also not caused by the sensor sending erroneous information to some control device telling it to shut down. Which leads me to further conclude that the control device itself is the problem.

So what exactly is the control device? Is there something on the oven's circuit/relay board that acts as an (automatically resetting) breaker of some kind? Should I replace the relay board (given the cost, I'd like to feel confident this will solve the problem)?

Any and all wisdom greatly appreciated...

Old 03-07-02, 05:38 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello heacoxs and Welcome to our Do It Yourself Web Site and my Gas Appliances forum.

Excellent job of testing & diagnosing. Check all terminal connections to be sure the connection is good. Check the fuse. The fuse is a special fuse designed only for ovens. It is not any ordinary type of fuse but it does look similar to automotive glass tube type fuses.

Based upon the parts you have already replaced without success, remove the circuit board. Take it to the local appliance parts store for testing. Chances are you may not even have to test it. The circuit board may have a visually fried part.

Suggestions:
Read the manufacturers online web site for product information, problem possibilities, causes and solving methods, part locations, disassembly, reassembly methods, repair proceedures and instructions, fuel type conversions, pictorials and schematics, which may be available online.

An excellent source for orginal replacement parts is your local retail appliance parts store. Appliance parts dealers test and carry replacement parts for all appliances. Parts dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

Retail parts dealers can also help determine what the possible problem may be. Bring the make, model and serial numbers if you stop in at the store. The info will help to determine the ignition system and possible problem causes.

Read the RECENT postings & ARCHIVES, within this forum, for other postings on this topic and the replies offered.

Should you require additional assistance, want to post any additional updated information, final conclusion results and or care to send a thanks to TomB...{that's me......} kindly use the REPLY button.

By doing so, the additional information you add will remain within this posting {Thread} and allow the other readers of this topic to follow the topic and allow me to post any further helpful advice and suggestions.

Regards & Good Luck
Gas Appliances Forum Moderator
Tom_Bart........"Fast, Fair, Friendly & Highly Proficient"......
TCB4U2B2B.....Company Enterprises.
Energy Conservation Consulting Services & Gas Appliance Problem Diagnostics and Technician Services.

Old 03-07-02, 07:04 PM
jeff1
Visiting Guest
Question Re: Gas oven - internal circuit breaker?

**I have a Magic Chef gas wall oven**

Hi,

Question...what is the model# ?

jeff.

Old 03-07-02, 07:14 PM
heacoxs
Visiting Guest
part no.

I was looking at the numbers I jotted down when I ordered the thermostat - I think the model number is 275-3301-00 (it doesn't appear anywhere visible - I'd have to take the front panel off to check)...

SH

Old 03-07-02, 07:28 PM
jeff1
Visiting Guest
Smile

Hi,

Usually a series of letters and numbers is the model#...I tried the number you posted on my MagicChef CD...would not work

jeff.

Old 03-07-02, 07:35 PM
heacoxs
Visiting Guest
Correct model number!

Found it under the bottom of the broiler: 9122XPB

SH

Old 03-08-02, 03:59 AM
jeff1
Visiting Guest
Cool

Hi,

That it

I had a copy of the wiring diagram and it showed no fuse in the range.

For your type of a problem...sounds possible a loose wire/wire connector/connection/plug is very possible.

I'd check the plug, the house wires to the plug ( from fuse box to the outlet ) and into the range for any loose/burnt connections....there also should be a terminal board inside ( a spot where a lot of wires come together ) and I suspect something is getting hot and opening up after it gets hot enough and then re-closes after it has cooled down....esp in the main power as everything is dieing.

jeff.

Old 03-08-02, 06:11 AM
heacoxs
Visiting Guest
Will check it out

Jeff, thanks for checking - I'll try to check out the areas you recommended, and report back.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: