Gas Self Cleaning Oven Question

Old 03-16-02, 09:50 AM
Angco
Visiting Guest
Gas Self Cleaning Oven Question

I have a Magic Chef Gas self cleaning oven (1986) Model#34 FA-2-CKX, Ser#04C548087223. My question is that the self cleaning stop working. The stove,oven both broil and bake are working fine. However, when I set up for self cleaning nothing happens no indicator light no heat etc. What can the problem be and where should I start diagnosing.

Thanks Dan

Old 03-16-02, 06:18 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello Angco. Welcome to my Gas Appliances forum.

Chances are the door lock switch isn't working. If the switch does not make internal electrical contact, nothing will happen, as you described.

Your can check the switch with an ohm/volt meter. Be sure the current is off if your testing for continuity. Be careful if your testing for current. The switch is full line voltage.

If current or continuity is present, the selection control may be the next item to check. It could be defective. Test for current and or continuity there also and at all other inline controls and or switches which operate the self clean cycle.

There may be a fuse inline somewhere. Check for one and if found, test for continuity. If the fuse is defective, replace it with only an appliance fuse. They are not common to any other type of fuses. Appliance fuses are designed to handle special current voltages.

All wire connections and terminals will have to be tested also, if every other item tested okay. The entire testing process is to locate some place where electrical current stops flowing or is interupted.

Suggestions:
Read the manufacturers online web site for product information, problem possibilities, causes and solving methods, part locations, disassembly, reassembly methods, repair proceedures and instructions, fuel type conversions, pictorials and schematics, which may be available online.

An excellent source for orginal replacement parts is your local retail appliance parts store. Appliance parts dealers test and carry replacement parts for all appliances. Parts dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

Retail parts dealers can also help determine what the possible problem may be. Bring the make, model and serial numbers if you stop in at the store. The info will help to determine the ignition system and possible problem causes.

Read the RECENT postings & ARCHIVES, within this forum, for other postings on this topic and the replies offered.

Should you require additional assistance, post additional updated information, final conclusion results, kindly use the REPLY button.

By doing so, the additional information you add will remain within this posting {Thread} and allow the other readers of this topic to follow the topic and allow me to post any further helpful advice and suggestions.

Regards & Good Luck
Gas Appliances Forum Moderator
Tom_Bart........"Fast, Fair, Friendly & Highly Proficient"......
TCB4U2B2B.....Company Enterprises.
Energy Conservation Consulting Services & Gas Appliance Problem Diagnostics and Technician Services.
Disclaimer Note:
Although I have spent many years in the natural gas industry, some appliance information and or diagnostic information provided is exclusively from memory. Unless a "Senior Moment" is in progress...

Old 03-24-02, 11:31 AM
Angco
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the advice. After several hours I found out that the problem was a bent/dirty contact in the start/stop timer. I cleaned and adjusted the contact and now the self clean works fine!

Old 03-24-02, 02:28 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Thanks For Posting Update & Conclusion

The Forum Appreciates Hearing Success Stories!...

Hello Again & Thanks Dan

On behalf of myself and everyone who contributes helpful suggestions, solutions and advice within this forum, I'd like to express our thanks to you for taking your valuable time replying back in the forum. Doing so allows everyone reading the forum topic the opportunity to learn more.

Glad you had successful results resolving the problem.
The section switch {Timer} was indeed a part to suspect.

Thanks also for including the correctional method and or methods used to achived the correctional results.

Regards and Thanks
Forum Moderator
Tom_Bart.....TCB4U2B2B Enterprises
Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: