stovetop burner not igniting

Old 03-19-02, 07:09 PM
mtw
Visiting Guest
stovetop burner not igniting

I have a GE Stovetop with a spark ignition. Everything was working until a pot spilled over. We cleaned the burner and allowed it to dry (2 days ago). It now sparks, but the flame does not ignite. If I use a match, the burner works. What can I do to fix this? Thank you.

Old 03-19-02, 07:57 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Restricted Burner Ignition Ports

Hello mtw and Welcome to our Do It Yourself Web Site and my Gas Appliances forum.

On stove top burners that have sparkers that are not visable at the burner head, the burner heads have ignition ports. If the sparkers are funtioning and the burners won't lite, chances are the ignition ports are clogged or restricted.

Ignition ports are tiny holes up one side of the burner head. If these holes are restricted, they must be cleared out. Cleaning can be accomplished using one of three methods.

Most commonly, a large sewing straight pin needle can be used. DO NOT enlarge the ignition holes. Doing so will have adverse burner lighting effects.

Burner heads where the flames will not burn completely around the entire circumference of the burner head, the holes which do not have flames are clogged up and need cleaning.

In cases of extremely dirty burner heads, soaking the burners in very hot water with plenty of dissolved automatic dishwasher detergent for several hours, rinsing and drying or a combination of both methods for heavily soiled burners.

Suggestions:
Read the manufacturers online web site for product information, problem possibilities, causes and solving methods, part locations, disassembly, reassembly methods, repair proceedures and instructions, fuel type conversions, pictorials and schematics, which may be available online.

Read the RECENT postings & ARCHIVES, within this forum, for other postings on this topic and the replies offered.

Should you require additional assistance, want to post any additional updated information, final conclusion results, kindly use the REPLY button.

By doing so, the additional information you add will remain within this posting {Thread} and allow the other readers of this topic to follow the topic and allow me to post any further helpful advice and suggestions.

Regards & Good Luck
Gas Appliances Forum Moderator
Tom_Bart........"Fast, Fair, Friendly & Highly Proficient"......
TCB4U2B2B.....Company Enterprises.
Energy Conservation Consulting Services & Gas Appliance Problem Diagnostics and Technician Services.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: