Dryer Does Not Heat

Old 04-14-02, 11:14 PM
redbug
Visiting Guest
Maytag dryer

We have had this dryer for at least 20 years with no trouble. Now the pilot will not light and we have no fire. I found a small flint like object on the floor beneath the dryer tank. Could this be the ignitor? It appears to be broken. Can I fix this or should I call in a repairman? Thanks.

Old 04-15-02, 08:39 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hello, A model number would help.But if you have a pilot light then you don't have an ignitor and visa versa.Ignitors are easy to change though.

Old 04-15-02, 08:54 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 5 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Hello redbug. Welcome to my Gas Appliances forum and our Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

The piece of the part you found and your describing may be from a broken glow coil. A glow coil isn't all that difficult to remove nor is a new one to replace.

To remove the coil, turn off the gas first. Unplug the dryer from the electrical wall plug. Then remove the entire gas valve as an assembly. The nut on the gas valve to remove it from the gas supply pipe turns counterclock wise.

Now remove the glow coil from the burner assembly. Take the entire assembled part to the local appliance retail parts store for a replacement coil.

Appliance parts dealers test and carry replacement parts for all appliances. Parts dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

Check the recent posting on dryer topics. Several have replies with additional information on glow coil removal and replacement.

Regards & Good Luck
Gas Appliances Forum Moderator
Tom_Bart........"Fast, Fair, Friendly & Highly Proficient"......
TCB4U2B2B.....Company Enterprises.
Energy Conservation Consulting Services & Gas Appliance Problem Diagnostics Technician Services.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: