gas stove problem

Old 04-17-02, 07:47 PM
coldplay12180
Visiting Guest
Unhappy gas range problem

I am having a problem with 2 of my 3 burners. 2 of them will not light when a match is applied, and it doesn't sound as if gas is even reaching them. I cleaned the holes out well in the top of the burners with no success. They are absolutely fine, so it could be in the line I suppose. I don'tknow how to go about checking this though. It is an old type gas range that is found in small travel trailers. This one is a 1960'ish model. That is all I know about it. How do I go about checking the lines out? What are som other possibilities, and how do I check those? Please help!

Last edited by coldplay12180; 04-19-02 at 04:21 PM.
Old 04-18-02, 06:53 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Hello coldplay and Welcome to our Do It Yourself Web Site and the Gas Appliances forum.

You did not mention the year and make of this stove. Some brands and models have burners which do not work unless the controls are set to manual. Some have timers on very older brands, etc.

To verify if gas is coming out of the burner, try lighting the burner with a match. If it lights, gas is there. Which means the pilot light may be out or the ignition ports on the side of the burner head are clogged.

Burner ignition ports are the tiny holes on the side of the burner. They should be facing towards to pilot or spark ignitor.

Most often a large sewing straight pin needle can be used. DO NOT enlarge the ignition holes. Doing so will have adverse burner lighting effects.

Burner heads where the flames will not burn completely around the entire circumference of the burner head, the holes which do not have flames are clogged up and need cleaning.

In cases of extremely dirty burner heads, soaking the burners in very hot water with plenty of dissolved automatic dishwasher detergent for several hours, rinsing and drying or a combination of both methods for heavily soiled burners.

Read the RECENT postings & ARCHIVES, within this forum, for other postings on this topic and the replies offered.

Regards & Good Luck
Gas Appliances Forum Moderator
Tom_Bart........"Fast, Fair, Friendly & Highly Proficient"......
TCB4U2B2B.....Company Enterprises.
Energy Conservation Consulting Services & Gas Appliance Problem Diagnostics and Technician Services.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: