gas dryer hookup

Old 04-19-02, 08:38 AM
jpirtle
Visiting Guest
gas dryer hookup

We are soon moving our gas Kenmore dryer to a new house which only has an electrical hookup. However the furnace is in the attic directly above the laundry room. I'm not experienced with natural gas, but it does not look too difficult to extend a line from the furnace gas feed down the wall into the laundry room. The gas line to the furnace has an available tap. Is this feasible? The line would be about 15 ft. Is the flexible tubing available for this length? Any thoughts would be appreciated!

John P.
10 yr old Kenmore

Old 04-19-02, 05:00 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Thumbs down I Don't Recommend It.

Hello John. Welcome to my Gas Appliances forum and our Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

It certainly is feasible but not easily recommend by myself. There are building and safety codes to consider, gas capacity and loads to consider and useage of flex gas line usually isn't code nor safe or adviseable for the 15 foot run.

Indoor gasline should be iron or steel pipe up to within 2 feet of the appliance approz. The pipe must be correctly secured to the studs over the entire run. Rules and codes vary. Check yours.

If you have never installed gas piping and plan to do this project yourself, have it inspected before gasing up the pipe. Gas leaks can cause major problems and any incorrect installations may void warranties on the home policy and appliance.

Read the RECENT topics and ARCHIVES, within this forum, for other postings on this topic and the replies offered. Range connecting may offer you some insights. There both simuliar.

DRYER SERVICE TIP:
It's always adviseable to clean the entire exhaust venting system during any dryer maintenance and or repairs.

Regards & Good Luck
Tom_Bart....TCB4U2B2B.....Company Enterprises
"Fast.....Fair.....Friendly & Highly Efficient Services".....
Gas Appliances Forum Moderator
Energy Conservation Consultant & Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Old 04-19-02, 07:53 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The gas line in question was sized for that unit (BTU load) and run. Adding another appliance is not adviseable.
Just for the sake of asking, is the extra hookup a fairly short piece of pipe pointing towards the floor from a tee just in front of the control valve? If it is, this is called a drip leg and it collects moisture in the gas from condensation. It has a function that is important.

Flexible gas line (CSST - corrigated stainless steel tubing) is allowed under some codes and not in others. You must check with a local inspector for this and a permit will most likely be required.

Adding a gas line on your own will likely void your home owners insurance in case of fire or explosion.

I like to help people on plumbing problems but gas work is deadly serious. Please keep this in mind if you do the work yourself.

Old 04-20-02, 05:55 AM
jeff1
Visiting Guest
Cool

**Flexible gas line (CSST - corrigated stainless steel tubing) is allowed under some codes and not in others. You must check with a local inspector for this and a permit will most likely be required.**

Hi all,

Code up here with me ( Canada ) says these are not allowed to pass through a wall, floor, ceiling from one room into another.

jeff.

Old 04-20-02, 06:21 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Where I'm at, you can get a variance from the local ordinance if you fill out enough paper work, in 1 particular city.
I use Wardflex from time to time, and have used Tracpipe.
There are other cities in my area that do not allow any type of CSST but black iron only.

Regardless, all cities in my area, would require a permit and inspection for what we were talking about.

Old 04-22-02, 04:35 AM
jpirtle
Visiting Guest
I think I'll go shopping for an electric dryer!

Having no experience I knew I'd better ask questions, and I really appreciate the replies. I can see this would be a serious job for even a professional.

Thanks everyone for the response!

John

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: