Excessive Drying Time

Old 04-24-02, 08:11 PM
dietrologia
Visiting Guest
Thumbs down Hotpoint gas dryer, heat won't stay on

Hey, thanks for the great info on the site.

I used the info found here to replace a broken belt on my old Hotpoint gas dryer (model DLL 1550BGLWH). Took it apart and install went fine.

Now my clothes are taking around 1 1/2 - 2 hrs to dry. Clothes get mildly warm, but not hot. Blower works fine... vent unobstructed.

Checked out the gas--igniter glows up fine and gas ignites okay. Gas stays lit for about 30secs to a minute before I hear a "click" at the two front coils area and then the gas goes off. I sat there for a bit and the gas didn't reignite. Obviously it does ignite at some point again, but the gas isn't burning near long enough as it should to dry properly.

Question: anything I can "tweak" or adjust to increase the gas-burning cycle before it shuts off again? I'm just a layman, but it seems like some thermostat or sensor is kicking in too early and shuting off the gas.

Thank you for any help, I really appreciate it.

-Chris in Pacifica

Old 04-25-02, 11:15 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hey,
How you doing ? Alot of times the gas coils will do this after they get old.They have a Tendency to heat up and then fail.I would replace the coils,if you check them for continuity they'll probably show good if cold,but when the heat hits them they weaken and close.

Old 04-25-02, 04:02 PM
dietrologia
Visiting Guest
Thank you for your reply.

I figure the problem is either a) the valve coils or b) the thermosensor.

I figure I'll bypass the thermosensor and run the dryer. If the gas stays on... it's the sensor. If the gas still shuts off early, it's the coils that need replacing.

-Chris in Pacifica

Old 04-25-02, 05:38 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
HI: dietrologia

Before you start replacing parts for the problem you described, check the exhaust vent tubing. A pinched, bent, kinked or crimped exhaust vent tube will restrict the exhaust air flow and cause the problem your describing.

It's a commonly found problem whenever a dryer is moved for any purpose. Chances are the appliance was pushed too close to a wall or cabinet or too far back towards a wall behind it. Doing any of these will crimp or kink, etc. the exhaust vent.

Regards & Good Luck
Gas Appliances Forum Moderator
Tom_Bartco Enterprises.....TCB4U2B2B
Energy Conservation Consultant & Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.
Reminder:
Always adviseable to inspect and clean the exhaust venting system whenever your working on a dryer.

Old 04-26-02, 10:49 AM
dietrologia
Visiting Guest
Tom,

Thanks for your reply, but if you read my post I describe that the vent is clear and unobstructed and that the problem lies in the gas shutting off after 30 seconds.

Thank you for the pointers though!

Old 04-26-02, 05:27 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: Chris

My reply was only meant as a preliminary suggestion. Rest assured Chris, I read your posting word for word. I have read thousands of them and hundreds with the exact problem your describing after a repair is made to the appliance.

I know exactly what you mean and meant. The vent was clear and unobstructed during the inspection. I mean after you reconnected it and moved the dryer back into it's orginal place.

That's when a kink, bend, crimp, etc. sometimes happens. Many in home service calls have been made for this type of problem. I enjoyed helping those people with the problem too.

It was a quick, easy and very profitable service call. Move the dryer away from the wall slightly or use a broom handle to reach behind the dryer and unkink the flex tube and presto, problem solved, $$$$ in my hand and I exited smiling. Customer happy appliance works and the problem resolved...

If this is not the case for your dryer and your sure all is correct and well in the venting system, then proceed with your testing and parts replacements.

Regards & Good Luck
Gas Appliances Forum Moderator
Tom_Bart...."Fast, Fair, Friendly & Highly Proficient"....

Old 04-27-02, 09:32 PM
dietrologia
Visiting Guest
My response looks kind of harsh, doesn't it? I assure you it wasn't meant to be.

My old, old dryer seems to be working pretty well again. It may last me another year or so--what a workhorse!

Thanks for all the helpful info on the board here and on the main site... it's come in very handy!

Best of luck to you.

Sincerely,

Chris in Pacifica

Old 04-29-02, 03:54 PM
A
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hey,
How you doing? I'm still interested in what the problem was.
What finally fixed it?

A Brewer
You may never know what corrected the problem.
I bet it was a crimped and or somehow restricted vent...

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 04-29-02 at 05:35 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: