Do I have enough gas pressure??...HELP!!

Old 05-20-02, 08:48 AM
masterjoe
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Do I have enough gas pressure??...HELP!!

I plan to replace my electric stove with a gas stove...I currently have 1/2" gas line coming in from the meter(approximately 50' of total run)..
I have a water heater, gas dryer and furnace tee'd off from this line. Spot for the stove is located another 20' from the furnace.
Do I have a chance to tee off from this line to support a gas cooktop or not a chance at all??
Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-02, 05:58 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello: Joe

The answer to your question is no. You can add more gas draw to the existing line but you may not get the results wanted.

Here is why:

If the existing main gas supply pipe, in the house, is only 1/2 inch and the entire run is 50 feet, the entire gas supply pipe is already undersized for the existing appliances.

The pressure may be correct, at 7 to 10 inches water column. This is not the only problem. The volumn of gas the pipe can handle and deliver is the problem. The existing 1/2 inch pipe is already overloaded by existing standards.

The main gas feed line in the house should be not less then 3/4 inch. The feed lines to the indivdual appliances from the main supply pipe should not be less then 1/2 for all appliances with the exception for heating appliances. High demand heating units such as forced air forces, boilers, etc. require 3/4 inch supply lines.

Unless your mistaken regarding the diameter of the main supply line, the line you want to add will supply gas to the stove but it may not yield sufficient volumn when other appliances are also running.

If your correct, regarding the existing main line in the house, you may need to run an additional seperate line from the meter to the stove or repipe the entire house with a larger main supply line.

Check with a local gas piping contractor and or plumber. Inquire at the local building department within your area.

Regards & Good Luck
Gas Appliances Forum Moderator
Tom_Bart........"Fast, Fair, Friendly & Highly Proficient"......
TCB4U2B2B.....Company Enterprises.
Energy Conservation Consulting Services & Gas Appliance Problem Diagnostics and Technician Services.