Gas Range Burner Ignition Failure

Old 05-26-02, 08:59 PM
JIMKERRIGAN
Visiting Guest
Angry Gas Range Burner Ignition Failure

My wife cleaned our gas range, as usual. But now, the "click" that sparked the burners to light is silent. I looked, but can't see anything. I recall this is not rocket science and the "answer" is simple. However, I'm clueless as to what to look for.

This is not a pilot light range, and it's an old Thermador. Any advice?

Old 05-26-02, 09:13 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello JIM KERRIGAN and Welcome to our Do It Yourself Web Site and my Gas Appliances forum.

First check for electrical power to the stove. This can be done simply by turning on the oven light. No light means no power.

If there is power, then check all the control settings on the front control panel. Reset them all even if they appear to be set correctly.

If there isn't any electrical power going to the stove, check the wall recepticule and power cord plug. Be sure the connections are secure and tight.

If any of the above fails to correct the problem or do not apply, look for a fuse. Ovens have a fuse near the oven burners gas valve. Turn of the electrical power or unplug the stove prior to checking any electrical items.

Some sparking moduals have a fuse nearby the sparking modual device. Both fuse locations will have some type of cover over them that has to be removed or some type of fuse holder device.

If the fuse is burned out it will need to be replaced. If it does not appear visually to be burned out, it still could be defective. Check it with an ohm meter for continuity.

Be aware the fuse is NOT any type of standard fuse. It is a special appliance fuse designed strictly for it's intended purpose. Replace it with an exact type. Available at any appliance parts store listed within your local phone directory book.

The problem could also be a loose or disconnected wire or wire connection. Possibly too much water or moisture on the sparking switches. The sparking modual may have simply burned out and needs replacing. Turn of the electrical power or unplug the stove prior to checking any of these items.

Retail parts dealers can also help determine what the possible problem may be. Bring the make, model and serial numbers and stop in at the store. The info will help to determine the possible problem causes.

You can also call your natural gas company for minor assistance. The Gas Companies service phone number is listed on the gas bill. Services provided are still done FREE of charge...

Regards & Good Luck
Gas Appliances Forum Moderator
TCB4U2B2B.....Company Enterprises.
Energy Conservation Consulting Services & Gas Appliance Problem Diagnostics and Technician Services.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: