Oven Glow Coil Problem

Old 06-03-02, 01:43 PM
manute42
Visiting Guest
Ge Gas Stove Not Igniting

After a power outage in my house, my oven will not ignite. The burners and broiler burners both work, but the gas oven will not work. I can see the glow coil getting red, but for some reason, the gas will not flow. It is a GE gas stove with a glow coil ignitor. Any ideas?

Thank you!

Old 06-03-02, 09:56 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 5 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Hello Manute42. Welcome to my Gas Appliances forum and our Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Chances are the power failure did not cause the problem. Check for electrical continuity through the fuse. The fuses element may visually appear to be unbroken but electrically not functioning internally. The fuse is generally located at the end of the electrical power cord close to the oven burner gas valve.

The most likely cause is a weak glow coil. If it's orange in color while glowing, it is not glowing hot enough to function correctly. A hot glow coil, working correctly, will glow an intense bright yellow orange in color. Too much orange, any reddish color or a dull orange means the glow coil is weak.

You can replace the coil yourself. But first unplug the stove. Remove the flame spreader. The spreader is the metal plate attached to the top of the burner. It will have a wing nut securing it to the burner.

Remove the two screws securing the glow coil. Follow the two wires attached to the coil. At the end close fo the coil will be a wire pull apart quick disconect. Disconnect the coil at that point.

Install the new coil exactly as you found the existing coil. Replace each part in reverse order. Plug in the stove and turn it on. The oven burner now should work.

Glow coils are fragile. Handle and install the new coil carefully. Coils are a non returnable electric componet.

SUGGESTION:
Read the manufacturers online web site for additional product problem solving information. Appliance parts dealers carry replacement parts for all appliances and are listed in the phone book under appliances.

Read the RECENT postings & ARCHIVES, within this forum, for other postings on this topic and the replies offered.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button. By doing so, the additional information you add or questions you may have, will remain within this posting. Using this method also moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Regards & Good Luck
Gas Appliances Forum Moderator
Tom_Bart........"Fast, Fair, Friendly & Highly Proficient"......
TCB4U2B2B.....Company Enterprises.
Energy Conservation Consulting Services & Gas Appliance Problem Diagnostics and Technician Services.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: