Thermostat Problem

Old 06-10-02, 05:57 PM
caliegirl
Visiting Guest
antique western holly gas stove thermostat

I am having a problem with my old western holly stove thermostat. I set it a 350 and it keeps getting hotter and hotter. I had a repair man come out and he said that he couldn't get the part. Can anyone help.
Caliegirl

Old 06-10-02, 07:19 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello caliegirl and Welcome to our Do It Yourself Web Site and my Gas Appliances forum.

I would suspect the thermostat is available and the repair person choose not to replace it. The most likely thermostat the oven has currently installed in it is a Robertshaw control. To the best of my knowledge, the company is still in business and making oven thermostat controls.

To verify if that oven thermostat is still available, contact the local appliance part store in you town. By telling the person the make and model number of the oven, he/she should be able to tell you.

If that exact thermostat currently installed in the oven isn't available, inquire about it's replacement.

If your positive the sensing element inside the ovens baking compartment isn't touching anything except the two clips that support it and the temperature continues to rise, chances are the thermostat is defective.

If you not sure, contact the gas company and request an oven temperature calibration be done. Doing so may reveal another source of the problem and or determine if a calibration will resolve the problem.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button. By doing so, the additional information you add or questions you may have, will remain within this posting. Using this method also moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Regards & Good Luck
Gas Appliances Forum Moderator
Tom_Bart........"Fast, Fair, Friendly & Highly Proficient"......
TCB4U2B2B.....Company Enterprises.
Energy Conservation Consulting Services & Gas Appliance Problem Diagnostics and Technician Services.

Old 06-11-02, 05:47 PM
caliegirl
Visiting Guest
western holly thermostat

Hi
The name on the knob says wilcolator not robert shaw. I called a couple of appliance stores and they said wilcolator didn't make thermostats any more.
What now?
Thanks
Caliegirl

Old 06-11-02, 07:48 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: caliegirl

What now?

Did you call the gas company for a calibration?

Did you ask the appliance parts saleperson if Robertshaw makes a replacement for the one already installed in your oven?

I am aware that Wilcolator is out of business. But Robertshaw isn't and most likely has a replacement that can be used in place of the Wilcolator.

Locating a replacement thermostat may require that you do some searching for a dealer that can obtain the replacement. You may have to contact other dealers in the area or out of the local area.

You may need to call Robertshaw directly. Contact several appliance refurbishers and antique dealers and inquire where they buy obsolete parts.

The idea here is to locate the replacement thermostat and not rely on one dealers word that a replacement cannot be found simply because the orginal manufacturer is out of business.

Old 06-13-02, 03:49 PM
A
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hey,
I'd go with what Tom has said,If you can,take the part with you and match it up with another part.

Old 06-18-02, 01:31 PM
caliegirl
Visiting Guest
western holly stove

Thanks for the help. I found a antique gas stove company on the web that rebuilds the original thermostats. They were in my same state. I sent it in for rebuilding and I already got it back it works GREAT!
Thanks Again
Caliegirl

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: