Pool heater

Old 06-15-02, 03:28 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Pool heater

I'm having some difficulty getting the pool heater (Hayward) to work. The pilot is lit. The water pressure / flow sensor/switch seems to activate appropriately. The temp control dial (Thermostat) does make a switching / click sound when you dial it about one third up....but no heat. It worked a few weeks ago, but at the time I noticed that the burners kick in when I dial the temp setting up, but if I dial it up much more it dies again.. Now I can't get it to work at any setting.

I suspect a thermostat problem. Any ideas as how to trouble shoot the system for any obviously fixable problems?

Thanks in advance
JB

Old 06-15-02, 04:22 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: Danny

If you're sure all the switches and safety devices are functioning correctly, the problem may be the temperature sensing element.

This element should or may be installed in the water line connection pipes on the outside of the unit. If this element has lost it's internal charge, it will not allow the thermostat to function.

Another possibility could be a wornout or defective pilot generator element. The generator is the round element part within the pilot assembly. Removal and testing or replacement of this componet may be required.

Yet another possiblity could be a defective gas valve. The gas valve contains non removable and non repairable solenoids. If the electrical componets are all functioning correctly and there is sufficient dc currently flowing thru the electrical system, the pilot remains on and the burners will not fire-up, the secondary solenoid, in the gas valves body, could be defective.

Removal and testing and or replacement of the gas valve may be required. I would suggest you remove both the pilot generator and the gas valve, have both tested at the local pool supply dealers or any heating parts supply store. Replace either or both parts if found to be weak and or defective.

Regards & Good Luck, Forum Host & Moderator.
Tom_Bart...."Fast, Fair, Friendly & Highly Proficient"....
TCB4U2B2B....Company Enterprises.
Energy Conservation Consultant & Gas Appliances Diagnostic Services Technician.

Personal Quotes:
Drive Safely. "The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."
Favorite Quotes:
"Of Course I Don't Look Busy...I Did It Right The First Time!"...
"Keep Smiling" Smiling creates distractions. Smiling makes bosses and peers alike, wonder what in the &!#@#!$&$#@!% are you up to now!".....

Old 06-15-02, 04:26 PM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks a lot!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: