Extending a gas line

Old 06-20-02, 05:31 AM
pjb1
Visiting Guest
Extending a gas line

I have about seven feet of 1/2" gas pipe going thru the basement wall to an outdoor grill. I would like to move the grill to the other side of the deck, and that would mean adding about 28 feet of 1/2 pipe. Is there a problem with running 35' of 1/2 to supply a three burner Weber grill (36,000 btu). I could increase to a 3/4" line, or I could tap in to the main at the other end of the basement, bu that would mean taking apart alot of existing interior gas pipe and drilling a new hole thru the side of the house. The current pipe is black pipe painted with roofing coating, and it has held up rust free for 16 years. I may go galvinized with the new extension though.

Old 06-20-02, 07:04 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: pjb1

I do not see any reason why you cannot alter the existing pipe as you intended. The btu rating of the bbq isn't sufficient to overload the piping or gas supply.

Simply run the extension, using the same 1/2 inch diameter pipe to the new location and install a shut off valve at it's termination point.

Use pipe compound on the pipe threads of all newly installed pipe to ease the threading and tightening tasks during the installation.

But do not use any thread compound on the flex ends or shut-offs connector end. Use oil only on the flare ends of the connector and shut-off end. Pipe compound can be used on the female pipe end of the shut-off valve.

Either type of new pipe may be used but I suggest black iron pipe, which can be painted to prevent rust or coated with another rust preventative coating.

Soap test all fittings and newly installed joints to insure a leak free system.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: