Gas Range Odors

Old 06-27-02, 11:43 AM
timmj
Visiting Guest
Exclamation Gas Range Odors

I have an older natural gas range with pilot lights for the burners and the oven. Suddenly, the range began to smell badly from the burning pilots. It was not a natural gas smell, but kind of like lighter fluid or napthalene. Also, the pilots precipitated a white powder that caked up near the pilots. I shut it off and cleaned it but am reluctant to turn it back on. Neighbors have not had the same experience. I am serviced by Nicor in Northern Illinois. They have been no help.

Old 06-27-02, 08:10 PM
jeff1
Visiting Guest
Cool

Hi,

Just in case....

I'd discontinue using the range and have an appliance tech check it out for you. The pilots are small/mini burners, if they are not burning properly they could give off funky odors. JMO

jeff.

Old 06-28-02, 05:33 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello timmj and Welcome to our Do It Yourself Web Site and my Gas Appliances forum.

The white powdery substance deposited by the pilot flames is perfectly normal. It's most burned sulfur and other byproducts found in all natural gas.

The odor could be from two different sources. Within in gas itself and or as a result of an oil based product used inside the home. Examples would be paints, vanishes, stains and or adhesives.

Read the ARCHIVE postings, within this forum, for other postings on this topic and my replies offered.

Regards & Good Luck
Gas Appliances Forum Moderator
Tom_Bart........"Fast, Fair, Friendly & Highly Proficient"......
TCB4U2B2B.....Company Enterprises.
Energy Conservation Consulting Services & Gas Appliance Problem Diagnostics and Technician Services.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: