Disconnecting gas stove

Old 07-04-02, 05:55 PM
Little Honey58
Visiting Guest
Question Disconnecting gas stove

I am redocorating a vacant house and want to move the stove into another room while I do the kitchen. Is there any kind of cap I need or will shutting off the valve from the wall be sufficient?

Old 07-04-02, 08:44 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello Little Honey58. Welcome to my Gas Appliances forum and our Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Turning off the shut-off valve behind the stove will shutoff the supply of gas. Once the valve is turned off, remove the flex connector from the valve and that's all that should be required.

You'll need to slide the stove out of the space it's in or away from the wall slightly. Peer behind it and take note of how long the flexible gas connector is. This will determine how far you can pull or slide the stove outwards to access the gas shut off valve.

Be sure to unplug the stove from the wall socket or turn off the power, depending on how it's connected to the power source.

On the gas pipe entering through the wall should be a shut off valve. It will have to be turned to the OFF position. If the valve is an older style, it must be carefully turned crosswise to the pipe which would be 1/4 turn. Newer style valve have built in levers which only turn in one direction and are truned using only your hand. Not tools required.

Once the gas is off, remove the connector attached to the gas shut off valve. Use an adjustable wrench on the connector hex nut turning it counter clockwise and do not allow the valve to turn on the pipe.

Do not allow the pipe to turn either. Use another backup wrench on the valve body to keep it from turning while your turning the connector hex nut. Use a pipe wrench on the pipe, if needed, to keep it from turning. Only the connector hex nut should be allowed to turn. All else remains intact and stationary.

Be aware that your appliance may not be connected exactly in this manner. Therefore, the method discribed above may have to be varied accordingly.

Read the prior topics, within this forum, on this subject of stove and or dryer disconnecting and the replies offered.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button. By doing so, the additional information you add or questions you may have, will remain within this posting. Using this method also moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Regards & Good Luck
Gas Appliances Forum Moderator
Tom_Bart........"Fast, Fair, Friendly & Highly Proficient"......
TCB4U2B2B.....Company Enterprises.
Energy Conservation Consulting Services & Gas Appliance Problem Diagnostics and Technician Services.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: