Gas Dryer Hookup

Old 07-09-02, 12:09 AM
opinpi
Visiting Guest
Gas Dryer Hookup

I moved into a new house that only has a natural gas option for the dryer hookup and I want to install the new dryer myself. The dryer location has a pipe stem for the gas dryer hookup, but there is no valve to turn the gas off at the dryer only. (at least none that I can find). Will I have to shut off the gas for the entire house and then install the dryer, or should there be a way of turning the gas off at the dryer. I'm stumped. If I turn the gas off for the whole house, how do I drain the lines....do I turn the gas stove on until the lines are drained??

thanks in advance.

Old 07-09-02, 03:57 PM
A
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey,Are you talking about a newly constructed home or one that is new to you.In a new home it is code that a manual shut off valve be installed (I believe within three feet) of the gas appliance.It has to be the type where one doesn't have to go and get a wrench,the handle is part of the valve.If it's a older home and just new to you then maybe the previous owners took the valve with them.i would still look around to see if I could find one,even if it's outside or under the house?If not, then you could proceed as you mention and shut the house gas off completely and light the stove until it burns out.Make sure you shut off your other gas applainces like your water heater,if gas.

Old 07-09-02, 04:15 PM
opinpi
Visiting Guest
re: Gas dryer Hookup

The house is three years old, and I have looked all over the house and can't find a shutoff valve for the dryer gas bib. The hot water heater has one and the stove, but not the dryer.

Old 07-09-02, 06:42 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Hello: opinpi

Based on what your posting, your saying the is a pipe extending out from a wall without any cap or shut-off valve on it? If so, then there has to be a line valve installed some where out of sight.

A line valve has two female ends and is inline with the pipe. To locate any type of shut off valve, follow the pipe backwards towards the supply end.

There could be a tee at another gas appliance that supplies gas to the dryer gas line. If this is the case, then the shut-off valve your looking for could be at or near the other appliance.

Simply stated, if the gas to other appliances is already ON and the gas supply pipe to the dryer is uncapped and or has no shut-off valve on it's end, {I.E. an opened pipe} gas would be coming out o itf. Therefore, a valve has to be somewhere.

Whenever any natural gas supply is turned off at the meter, there is no need to open any other valve or turn on any stove burner to purge gas. Doing so will not accomplish anything.

If none of this makes any sense, hire a contractor or licensed plumber and have the job completed quickly & safely.

Regards & Good Luck
Gas Appliances Forum Moderator
Tom_Bart........"Fast, Fair, Friendly & Highly Proficient"......
TCB4U2B2B.....Company Enterprises.
Energy Conservation Consulting Services & Gas Appliance Problem Diagnostics and Technician Services.

Old 07-09-02, 09:22 PM
opinpi
Visiting Guest
Tom, thanks for the reply.

There is a cap on the end of the pipe coming from the wall. The line goes into the wall and where it goes from there I can't determine. Assuming there is no shut off valve, will it be safe to simply turn off the main line and hook up the dryer and then turn the main valve back on. The gas company said they would come out and relight any pilot lights that might have been extingquished.

Thanks again in advance.

P.S. I like your icon.....I'm a MAC user too!!

Old 07-10-02, 07:09 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Hello: opinpi

Reread my second and third paragraphs in my first reply. I am stating that the supply line for the dryer gasline could be located at or near another gas appliance.

Your looking for a "TEE" in a gasline at another appliance. If you locate the TEE at another appliance, there is a good chance that pipe supplies the gas to the dryers gasline.

The point here is that there is a good possiblity the shut-off for the dryer gasline is located in a remote location. Most likely near another gas appliance like a stove, furnace or water heater, if your home also has these appliances and they use gas.

If this is not the case and or your unable to locate the supply line for the dryers gasline, there may not in deed be one. Then by all means turn off the main gas supply at the meter, make the required connections to fully install the dryer and then call your local gas company.

Regarding my using an "APPLE" computer, not so. I would not torture nor abuse my apple by using it online....

Old 07-11-02, 06:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Gas line and pilots

If you need to have the gas co come light you pilots you shouldn't be messing with gas lines.

Lighting pilots is fairly easy for anybody that knows about gas.

Have a plumber com install a shutoff valve at the dryer and hook everything up, he will also check for leaks at the pipe connections.

It's worth the $50 or so (depends on area) he will charge to do the job RIGHT.

Gas is one of those things you should only mess with if you REALLY know what you are doing

Is your family's safety worth $50.00 ??

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: