GAS Oven Turns Off

Old 07-13-02, 07:02 AM
rugbykill
Visiting Guest
Unhappy GAS Oven Turns Off

I have a whirlpool Super Capacity 465 Gas Oven. The problem is the oven fails from time to time. Sometimes it will work just fine. At other times the oven will either not start up, you can hear the ignition, not the flame, or sometimes it will quit during the cooking process, it will not ignite after about 15 or 20 minutes. What can I do?

Old 07-13-02, 08:10 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Question ....More Detailed Information Requested

Hello: rugbykill

To start off with, you say you can HEAR the ignition???

Kindly clearify that statement.

My assumption is the ignition is a sparking ignition system. By this I mean there isn't any constantly on pilot when the oven is off during non useage.

A sparking ignition system, sparks to lite the pilot when the oven is turned on and repeats whenever the ovens needs additional heat to maintain temperature.

If your appliances uses a sparking ignition system to lite a pilot and that system has a weak sparking device or the pilot flame is weak, do to dust & and or lint, it will not keep the safety element the pilot flame is heating hot enough to allow the oven burner to function properly.

You'll also have to clearify and elaborate on what you mean by "The problem is the oven fails from time to time. Sometimes it will work just fine."

My question on this statement is, are these one in the same problem??? or different problems. Clearification requested.

Suggestions:
Read the manufacturers online web site for product information, problem possibilities, causes and solving methods, part locations, disassembly, reassembly methods, repair proceedures, and instructions, pictorials and schematics, which may be available online.

Retail parts dealers can also help determine what the possible problem may be. Bring the make, model and serial numbers and stop in at the store. The info will help to determine the possible problem causes.

Parts dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

Read the prior topics, within this forum, on this subject of ovens and the replies offered.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button. By doing so, the additional information you add or questions you may have, will remain within this posting. Using this method also moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Regards & Good Luck
Gas Appliances Forum Moderator
Tom_Bart........"Fast, Fair, Friendly & Highly Proficient"......
TCB4U2B2B.....Company Enterprises.
Energy Conservation Consulting Services & Gas Appliance Problem Diagnostics and Technician Services.

Old 07-16-02, 09:05 PM
rugbykill
Visiting Guest
yes it is a sparking system, when i say time to time i mean one day i can cook a frozen pizza thoroughly and if i try to cook a pizza the next day it can stop in the middle of cooking the pizza. when i mean stop, it doesn't light up, or warm up, it stops. the oven says its on but you can take the rest of the day to cook your pizza because it is not turning on with the starting system. Sometimes if you wait long enough you can turn it on again after 1/2 hour or so and it will work. It drives me crazy. It is one year old appliance and i'm thinking that there is some kind of safety device that is not letting the stove start up, maybe telling the stove that the oven door is open or something.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: