Cooktop Problem

Old 07-16-02, 06:33 PM
sarkleshark
Visiting Guest
Angry Poor heat from Amana Gas Cooktop

Hi. We just bought a house with a 4 month old Amana 3050 gas cooktop which takes over 45 minutes to boil water and then it is only a minimal boil. The burners are rated at 12500 btu. The flames are blue and about 1 and 1/2 inches long and will blow around easily from the exhaust fan. The smaller burners are useless. I don't notice any dropoff when I ignight all the burners.
We have had Amana/ Maytag repair out three times and they say it works fine.
My question is: Will this unit benefit from some sort of internal adjustment, or is it a gas line problem, or is amana just a underpowered cooktop and do I need to go with a different brand( ie elan at 18000btu. We don't have any noticable problem with the gas dryer or water heater.
Thanks for any help.
Sarkleshark in San Carlos, California

Old 07-16-02, 09:01 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello sarkleshark and Welcome to our Do It Yourself Web Site and my Gas Appliances forum.

Most likely the cooktop is functioning correctly. The new models are all pretty much the same. That is to say energy efficient. The days of older and larger size burners and bigger flames are gone.

I explained this whole theory of energy efficiency, as it relates to cooktops, in a prior reply posting. Somehow, at this moment, I cannot find it.......may have something to do with a "Senior Moment' happening at this very time...

However, if you take some time, check back within this forum, you'll locate the topic in a reply. Reading it will supply you with additional information.

Contacting the local gas utility may also help. Most service reps most likely can & often will adjust the burner flames up but only slightly. Flames which are too large will cause unforeseen problems of soot on the bottom of the pots, gas odors, etc.

Be advised that some burner flames are non adjustable. Attempting to adjust the orifices does not good. They are preset.

In most cases, you'll have to replace the older pots and pans with the newer types. This helps plenty and your going to have to alter some of your cooking methods and cooking times.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button. By doing so, the additional information you add or questions you may have, will remain within this posting. Using this method also moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Regards & Good Luck
Gas Appliances Forum Moderator
Tom_Bart........"Fast, Fair, Friendly & Highly Proficient"......
TCB4U2B2B.....Company Enterprises.
Energy Conservation Consulting Services & Gas Appliance Problem Diagnostics and Technician Services.

Old 07-16-02, 10:26 PM
sarkleshark
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the help. We are using allclad pots. Some other older pots won't boil at all. It sounds like we may have to get a better cooktop with higer burner output in the 15000-18000 btu range.
I hope it is not the gas line--Should I have the pressure and/or gas flow measured? Thanks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: