Oven Burner Problems

Old 07-16-02, 06:57 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gas oven problem

Have an oven that has a glow coil. Coil glows, gas valve does engage, but does not light off.

Any ideas on whats bad?

Replaced coil, same result, replaced gas valve, same result. I don't think thermostat should have a bearing on this, just activates glow coil.

Any input appreciated.

Old 07-16-02, 09:26 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello: notuboo

The question is: Is there any flame at the burner at all?

Next questions is: How do you know the gas valve is opening?
Your terminology, "engages."...????

If there isn't any gas at the burner, then maybe the gas is turned off at the isolation valve. This valve is a tiny valve with a tiny lever. It's located at the start of the aluminum tube that supplies gas to the oven burners gas valve.

If that valve is "ON", check to be sure by turning it the opposite way from it's existing postion and recheck if the burner functions.

If neither postion provides the result needed, the problem may be a restricted burner orifice, a closed burner orifice or a some other safety device which fails to open, a control panel setting is set incorrectly, etc.

RSVP with the answers to the above questions and the results of the tests. Use the REPLY button to post back the reply. By doing so, the additional information you add or questions you may have, will remain within this posting. Using this method also moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Retail parts dealers can also help determine what the possible problem may be. Bring the make, model and serial numbers and stop in at the store. The info will help to determine the possible problem causes.

Regards & Good Luck
Gas Appliances Forum Moderator
Tom_Bart........"Fast, Fair, Friendly & Highly Proficient"......
TCB4U2B2B.....Company Enterprises.
Energy Conservation Consulting Services & Gas Appliance Problem Diagnostics and Technician Services.

Old 07-17-02, 02:51 PM
The gas valve actually opens without ignition from the glowcoil. It act likes the coil is saying "okay I'm hot enough" when it really isn't.
What's odd is that it did this with a new glowcoil and a new gas valve.

How quickly should the burner light off when the gas valve opens. 2-3 seconds or longer. The odor of gas is quickly apparent.

Thanx for the help Tom!

Old 07-17-02, 07:23 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello: notuboo

The answer to your question is immediately. There should not be any delay to ignition of the burner gas once the gas valve opens. I suspect the alignment between the glow coil and the burner isn't correct.

Alignment between the glow coil and the burner means the glow coil could be too far away or too close. Which may mean the securing bracket is bent or secured incorrectly, etc.

Now that we know "engage" means opening, as in gas does come out of the burners gas valve, the above most likely applies. As could any of the the other possibilites mentioned.

Reread the 5th paragraph in my orginal reply.

One other thought. Check the burners ignition ports. The portare the slots and or holes in the burner. They all must be cleaned and clear. Restricted ports can also be the cause and or part of the problem.

About all I can think of notuboo.

Reread and apply the last paragraph too.

Regards & Good Luck
Gas Appliances Forum Moderator

Old 07-18-02, 04:19 PM
Tom:

Thanx for the help, hadn't thought about the alignment and that is most likely the issue.

If I run into more stuff, I'll be back.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: