Dryer Odors/Gas Smell

Old 07-17-02, 06:10 AM
karakelly
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Amana Gas Drier

Our Amana gas dryer is giving off a strong gas odor only when working. The reason I'm posting this question is because we have not done any house improvements or used any chemicals. The clothes get extremely hot and smell like gas. This happened with our last dryer and then it died. We bought this dryer last year. Everything seems to be in working order and we can't figure out what is going on. The flame is not yellow and the clothes are getting dry.

Old 07-17-02, 06:06 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello karakelly and Welcome to our Do It Yourself Web Site and my Gas Appliances forum.

Your posting poses an interesting delemma for me to attempt to resolve. The reason being is mutiple possbilities.

Since you have not used any oil based chemicals and the problems are high temps, gas or gas like odors and the same type condition with the other dryer, it's possible but not likely the appliance regulator is defective on this dryer or possibly there is too high a supply pressure causing the regulator to overgass the burner.

Since it is not always possible to diagnose all potential problems in a text only format like this, I would suggest you contact the local dealers service agency.

If the dryer is only one year old, I have to assume it was purchased new but you didn't not make that perfectly clear. If the appliance is in fact new and only 1 year old, any repairs should be covered. Except if the problem is or was caused by higher then normal gas delivery supply pressure.

I also have to assume the dryer is using natural gas and not propane. If it's a nat gas supply pressure problem, contact the local nat gas utility company. Request the company send a service person to check the delivery supply pressure.

Another possible problem could be a restricted exhaust vent, kinked exhaust tubing, defective exhaust vent hood and or a gas leak in or from the burner valve.

Suggestions:
Read the manufacturers online web site for product information, problem possibilities, causes and solving methods, part locations, disassembly, reassembly methods, repair proceedures and instructions, pictorials and schematics, which may be available online.

Retail parts dealers can also help determine what the possible problem may be. Bring the make, model and serial numbers if you stop in at the store. The info will help to determine the exact parts used in the model assembly line run and possible problem causes.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button. By doing so, the additional information you add or questions you may have, will remain within this posting. Using this method also moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

DRYER SERVICE TIP:
It's always adviseable to clean the entire exhaust venting system every 2 years and or during any dryer maintenance and or repairs.

Regards & Good Luck
TCB4U2B2B.....Company Enterprises
Tom_Bartco....."Fast.....Fair.....Friendly & Highly Proficient".....
Gas Appliances Forum Moderator
Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: