Fuel Conversion Question

Old 07-23-02, 08:09 PM
bans25
Visiting Guest
Question about converting a Tappen stove from gas to LP.

Hi all,

My parents are replacing there Gas stove with an electric , and I am taking there old stove. I need to convert it from natual gas to LP. I have heard that some stoves need a kit while others can be ajusted and rotate the regualtor needle.

Can anyone tell me if I need to pre-order a conversion kit? I will be picking up the oven on sunday and would like to install that night..

The model is 30-3979-00/01

thanks much..

-Bill

Old 07-23-02, 08:45 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello Bill. Welcome to my Gas Appliances forum.

First thing have to know is what all the burners are rated at. Once you have this information, write down the stoves information and visit the local retail appliance parts store for replacement parts.

Inside or on the stove somewhere is a plate containing all the required information. The appliance stores counter service person will be able to determine orifice sizes required.

Another item that will need attention is the stoves appliance gas regulator. If the existing regulator isn't convertable between natural gas and propane, the part will also need to be replaced.

Failure to convert or replace the regulator for the type of gas used will create burner operational problem, etc.

Another item the has to be set correctly is the ovens thermostat. Most of these have a set screw on the body of the thermostat near the stem behind the temp knob. The screw will be labled...N for natural and...P for propane. Turn the set screw to the type of fuel used.

In some cases the orifices can be opened or closed to adjust the burners flame size but not always. Some are non adjustable. They turn but do nothing. In those cases, replacements are needed.

Suggestions:
Read the manufacturers online web site for product information, problem possibilities, causes and solving methods, part locations, disassembly, reassembly methods, repair proceedures and instructions, fuel type conversions, pictorials and schematics, which may be available online.

An excellent source for orginal replacement parts is your local retail appliance parts store. Appliance parts dealers test and carry replacement parts for all appliances. Parts dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

Read any current and ARCHIVED questions on your topic, within this forum, and the REPLIES offered. You'll find instructions to make the conversion already posted.

TCB4U2B2B Company Enterprises
Gas Appliances Forum Moderator
Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: