Air flow and air filter

Old 07-27-02, 11:18 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Air flow and air filter

This may be a dumb question, but I'm a new homeowner and have lots to learn. The filter currently in the Janitrol air handler (model AV-18-30-10) is filthy and should be replaced. However, it currently has a frameless filter. Can I replace that with a framed filter, and if so, in which direction is the air flow?? I've read the booklet and it doesn't help much and my model is too old for the Goodman Web site (they start at AW models).

Old 07-27-02, 01:02 PM
jackman1
Visiting Guest
Smile

Measure length and width of opening and then go to your local home center and ask for a standard cardboard type throwaway filter. The air flow directional marks should be on the cardboard frame. NOTE: Since you just moved in it's a good idea to have the unit serviced to be sure everything is in proper working order.

Old 07-27-02, 04:33 PM
L
air flow arrows...

Ok, I measured and bought a filter that should fit, and there are arrows on the cardboard frame. Dumb question #2: which way does the air flow in the air handler--from the ground up or from the ceiling down? (why don't they put arrows on the airhandler or labels for newbies like me?)

P.S. There should be a book called "Home Ownership for Dummies" I think it would sell millions.

Old 07-28-02, 03:42 AM
jackman1
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Since this is return air the arrows should point from the ground up.

Old 07-28-02, 05:42 AM
L
My air handler and I thank you.

I will schedule a visit from a service person to get the system checked out. Thanks for your prompt answers.

Old 07-28-02, 09:55 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The arrow needs to point at the blower motor on your furnace.. . So it depends on how your furnace is set up. (Downflow, Upflow, or in the attic?) ANd also hope you are using the pleted filters and not the cheap 50cent fiberglass fitlers.

Old 07-28-02, 01:26 PM
L
Cheap new homeowner...

Well, you caught me. I did get the fiberglass kind and it seemed like not much there with which to filter anything, but what do I know?? Surely it's better than the filthy thing that was in there, as I can't imagine how any air got through at all.

Although I know there's nothing in the attic, I couldn't tell you if the air handler has downflow, upflow, inflow or outflow. And I don't know what a pleted filter is, but hope that the one I have put in will be ok until I can get a service person to check the system and educate me on the finer points of air flow and filters.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Old 07-28-02, 07:22 PM
A cheap 50cent Fiberglass filter will catch only 6% of the dust.. So you have alot of dust blowing around the house.. There are kinds of pleted filters. 1" Pleated Electrostatic, High Performance 2, or.. 1" Pleated you can go to the web sight and that will help explane to you about it.

Air Filter Types.

The pleated filters last longer, (3months vs 1 month) and I use the electrostic type, and cuts on the house cleaning alot!

Sounds like you have a normal furnace in the basement so just point the arrow towards the blower.. (Air pass the filters, into the blower, out the blower.. pass the heat exchanger, and/or pass the A/C Coil, and into the home.)

Old 07-28-02, 08:06 PM
L
Thumbs up

Good Web site on filters; I'm a convert to the electrostatic (at least until I can get to Home Depot and find out how much they cost), as I don't like house cleaning.

I'll try to get one this week. Thanks for your patience and help.

Old 07-28-02, 09:10 PM
I just happend to work at Home Depot!

They run about $8 to $9, but they are worth it. Get the Red Frame one.... You can buy the cheaper kind that almost same as the 3m. But I am not sure if the store your going to has it or not.

Happy Shopping!
-Jay

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: