Chilling water for hydronic system

Old 07-27-02, 12:27 PM
Visiting Guest
Chilling water for hydronic system

I have an idea that I would like a professional opinion on. Please let me know if it is possible and I should persue it.

I have just competed installation of a 3 ton AC central air system in my house. The air handler is also connected to my boiler we installed 3 yrs ago for heating (hydroair) on the upstairs level (1400 SF). In addition, we have installed underfloor radiant heating (hydronic) on both levels of the house (3000 SF total).

My idea is since the air handler air discharge blows cold air (in AC mode) over the heating coils, can I possibly use this to cool the water in the hydro system and circulate through the floors?

My plan would be this:

1 - cut in a valved bypass between the supply/return lines for the hydronic system at the boiler. This would shunt the water to create a loop between the air handler and the hydronic system.

2- control the flow of water by using the hydronic zone pumps at the hydronic system manifold to circulate the chilled water through the downstairs zones. The upstairs zone could also be openned if needed. The downstairs is partially (about 30%) below grade. The t-stats that control the hydronic zone pumps would be switched to "cool".

3- I would design a circuit so when the t-stats are in "cool" on the hydronic system, it would hold open the t-t on the hydronic zone controller so it would not call the boiler.

Do you thing this would provide much in the way of cooling for downstairs?. Would I be creating a problem with condensation from the hydronic lines?

Since the hydronic system I installed had the option of using potable water with the feature of using domestic well water for cooloing in summer and using DHW for heating, why wouldn't this work (we chose the boiler route because we installed the AHU first and upgraded to a phase 3 water heater)

Please let me know what you think ? - am I out of my mind, or would this work? In your opinions, would this be worth the effort ?

Thanks much for all your help in the past.

(PS: Lynn C- I was able to convert my First Co AHU from Freon to Puron, thanks for the advise to contact First Co, they were very helpful, not many people in this area ar up to speed on R410A yet.)

Jim

Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-02, 09:44 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Don't cool floors !!!

You WILL have condesation problems, also there is little cooling benifit obtianed from cooling the floor.

Heat rises

However I do think the hydronic heat/radiant system is about the most comfortable way to HEAT a house !!!