How to know if Freon is leaking and what to do about it.

Old 07-29-02, 01:52 PM
Implicit
Visiting Guest
Question How to know if Freon is leaking and what to do about it.

I think Freon is leaking from my outside unit. Everything else seems to be working fine but for some reoson I have to add Freon more then often. The service guy said I need more freon but I just added some like 2 months ago? Please help!

thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-02, 03:15 PM
bigjohn
Visiting Guest
The reason you have to keep having refrigerant added is because it is leaking out. It doesn't wear out or get stale, etc. That said, finding the leak may be easy or difficult. The leak wouldn't necessarily be confined to the outdoor unit. It could be anywhere in he system, #1 place to look?- the indoor cooling coil. If your service guy has an electronic leak detector, he should be able to find the leak. Repairing it is, of course, another issue. It's usually not cheap.

Old 07-29-02, 07:54 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
i agree

the indoor coil is most likely your culprit, however ther leak may be elsewhere. mix a solution of dish soap and water, and apply it to all parts of the refrigeranty system that you can access. especially around the ports at the o/d unit that your tech hooked his guages to. look for rust on components, especially any in line filter/drier, which would be very close to the condenser and evap coil. you may not have one of these, but i have found many leaks here. carrier units are notorious for leaking at the accumulator, which is inside the o/d unit, oil is also a clue, as refrigerant carries oil, and will very often be found near a leak.