Outside unit buzzing - fan not spinning

Old 07-31-02, 06:58 AM
butlere
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Outside unit buzzing - fan not spinning

Last night I discovered that the fan in the compressor wasn't spinning but I can hear a hum from the attached box housing it's electronics. Is the compressor shot? Do I need a motor? What does it sound like?

Old 07-31-02, 09:13 AM
Sparksone42
Visiting Guest
Sounds to me like the buzzing that you are hearing is the low voltage contactor that is either pulled in and you have a blown fuse or capacitor so the fan wont operate or the LV contactor is not pulling in completely.

You say the fan is not spinning, is the compressor running??? If so, then either the fan motor is gone or you have a blown capacitor on that fan. If the compressor is not running then you should check to make sure that you have full power to the unit. You need to check that the unit is getting the proper voltage. Maybe you have blown a fuse on the circuit that feeds that condensor. Keep in mind that even if you loose power to that unit you may still have power to the air handler and thermostat and they are what control when the outside unit comes on. So it's possible that you have lost power to the condensor and if you are hearing a buzzing sound that this is due to the contactor being activated by the inside unit calling for cool. However, without power to that condensor it wont operate.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: