AC Questions

Old 08-01-02, 12:24 PM
nhoj_l
Visiting Guest
AC Questions

Hi,
I have two central AC units - one upstairs and one down. Only the downstairs seems to work. The upstairs blower works but the air never gets cold. The larger pipe (freon?) entering the condensor gets cold to the touch for the downstairs and not for the upstairs. Could the upstairs unit not be charged? Is there a DIY way to find out what is up?

Thanks.

Old 08-01-02, 01:31 PM
bigjohn
Visiting Guest
Is the outdoor section on the upstairs system running? Listen closely- if the fan is running you want to try to hear if the compressor is also running. If the compressor is running, then the most probable problem is short of/out of freon. Have you had to have freon added in the past?

Old 08-01-02, 01:54 PM
nhoj_l
Visiting Guest
AC Question

Thanks for the reply.

No, I have never added freon in the past. It is a brand new unit. I did replace a bad motor (was completely seized). The blower and the compressor both seem to be running (two different noises). If the issue is freon I am guessing I need a service man - not a DIY issue.

Old 08-01-02, 02:16 PM
bigjohn
Visiting Guest
One has to be EPA ceritfied in order to access/repair anything related to the refrigerant. So, youll probaly have to call for service, but if it's a brand new unit, then you should have some type of warranty coverage. Most likely there is a freon leak or something is restricting the flow of freon. Another possibility is the compressor has lost it's pumping capability. Let us know what happens.

Old 08-26-02, 06:35 AM
nhoj_l
Visiting Guest
ac question reply - and thanks

Hi,
Thank you for the feedback and advice to my question. I just wanted to reply as to what the end result was. Turns out the installer charged the lines with nitrogen and that the system had never been started because it was installed in October. I got the original installer to come out and he said the nitrogen needs to be removed and then the freon is added. I guess the nitrogen is used just to test the system and can be released without environmental concern.

Funny thing is I had a service guy come out from Robert Pann and his advice was all wrong. He had no idea that there was nitrogen in the line. He said the sytem was reading on the guages as though it was over charged. He had opened the allen screws to the freon lines and this mixed the two gases together and could have led to all kinds of problems. He suggested a procedure to reclaim all the freon and to reinstall to the tune of $400. In addition, he told me one of the fan motors was bad and needed to be replaced to the tune of $700. I replaced the motor myself (it was free under warranty). I am glad I ignored all his advice and tracked down the original installer.

Old 08-26-02, 08:52 AM
bigjohn
Visiting Guest
Releasing nitrogen is not a problem. The original installer should have told you about the condition he left the system in. He also should have left it so that the outdoor unit would not start up because of the valves being closed. You could have smoked the compressor. The guy you had come out for service had no way of knowing that the lines had nitrogen in them. I hope that the installer guy recovered the mixture of both gases, evacuated and then put in virgin freon.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: