overcharge

Old 08-06-02, 10:36 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
overcharge

What kind of damage can be caused to an a/c unit if overcharged? The landlord added freon to the unit and it kicked, bucked and shook so bad that it would shake the walls in the house. He came back out an immediately released some of the freon, but it never cooled correctly afterwards. He then sent a a/c repairman to look at it and they said that it was still overcharged.

The a/c is working better, but still not what it was BEFORE the landlord charged it. (He didn't check it, just came out one day and decided to charge it up - worked great before that, and would freeze you out of there if you let it).

Kay

Old 08-06-02, 11:10 AM
bigjohn
Visiting Guest
Are you saying that your landlord released freon into the atmosphere?

Old 08-06-02, 11:22 AM
telco tech
Visiting Guest
Uh oh,... you might be in for some real fun here. If this landlord has overcharged the system enough for it to act the way you described, the compressor might be permanently damaged. Reason, if to much freon is in the system, liquid freon can return though the suction line and enter the compressor. The compressor was never designed to pump liquid, only freon gas, the liquid is incompressable, and it can bend or damage the internal valves in the compressor. If this happens, the compressor won't pump freon very well from this point on. So goes away to cooling capacity of the system. On another note, if the landlord if dumping excess freon out into the air, this is REAL illegal (federal law type illegal). Big fines if he is caught. Best of luck, sounds like it could get messy.

Old 08-06-02, 11:49 AM
I'll let my sister-in-law know. She is concerned with trying to get him to fix anything for two reasons. One being that they have trouble paying rent on time, however, always pay by the 15th of the month. The other being, the guy simply has no clue to what he's doing.

They have no internet service or telephone, so this complicates things for them further. I told them I would try to help them figure it out. I lived with them for a month while we were closing on this house. I honestly, would have to stand over 'Joe' while he worked and give direction or simply to make sure he even attempted to fix it.

At least the guy was smart enough to let an actual a/c company come out to look at it. This company checked the fan balance and also made sure that nothing in the outside unit had come loose. I'm not sure that the compressor was checked any further than just a look-over. Yes, this company captured the excess freon properly. As far as when 'Joe' did it, am not sure. I didn't think to ask simply assuming no, since he's a half-acer anyway.

I do believe that they may have some legal recourse, but am not sure what that could be. He overcharges rent on a piece of property that is literally falling apart. I'm going to ask her to call me when he comes by again. I know of several verbal agreements as far of repairs that were never done. This way if they need another 'witness' then I can maybe help out. The upstairs bathtub is still unusable since it drains out into the bathroom below, through a linen closet. They moved into this house almost a year ago, and this is one of the many things he said he would, but never has fixed.

Kay

Old 08-07-02, 11:10 AM
Sparksone42
Visiting Guest
If you feel that the landlord is not doing what he should do, then you should have your sister contact the local courthouse.

Many times, counties have policies in place for renters and certain other situations where you can deposit the rent money with the clerk of the court and not pay the landlord. This will force the landlord to take them to court to get the rent money that he is entitled to, or thinks he is, and it will also force him to correct anything that is not working.

As for those VERBAL agreements, they are not worth the paper they are written on. The next time that they pay rent if they are paying him directly they need to get in writing any complaints that they have about the deriliction of the property and hand deliver the letter to him. If he fails to respond then they need to send it through the us mail certified, signed return receipt.

If he still fails to make the necessary repairs then maybe it's time your sister contacted an attorney for some legal remedy. Keep in mind the fact that, even if your sister is late in paying the rent, that does not relieve the landlord from continuing to make the necessary repairs to the property.

You say that one of the bathrooms is unusable! This could very well be a health concern and your sister may want to contact the local enviromental health agency or the local board of health, even if it is something that they can't do anything about sometimes just getting them involved will motivate the most stubborn of landlords.

Good luck!!!

Old 08-07-02, 11:36 AM
Thanks! She and I both have a fear of having to move again. If he won't renew the lease, then they have to find another place, etc. I believe that we undermine ourselves this way.

I own my own now, thank goodness. I will let her know some of her options. In the long run, if he doesn't renew the lease then it may be for the best. I hate for them to have to move, however, they shouldn't have to live like this.

Kay

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: