planning ahead for the winter

Old 08-07-02, 07:57 AM
d_k_moses
Visiting Guest
planning ahead for the winter

I have an old gas furnace that I want to convert to electric. Where can I find a heatstrip and how do I go about converting to all electric?

Thank you for you help.

Old 08-07-02, 09:09 AM
bigjohn
Visiting Guest
It's a little more complicated than that. When furnaces are manufactured, they have to meet minimum standards established by groups such as AGA, UL, etc. You just can't homebrew. Besides, it's probably contrary to your local county bldg. dept. codes. What you can do is install a new electric furnace. BUT, first you want to make you have a large enough electric service to the house AND that you have a circuit breaker panel inside that can handle the electrical load of an electric furrnace. I did a job like this about 30 years ago. It was a very nice house that had an oil furnace in a closet in the hallway. The furnace belched one night and the wife was like 'I don't want that furnace in my house any more". We had to put in a 20kw furnace in order to have equal heating capacity. The house had to have the service from the pole upgraded, a new main panel put in, and circuits installed for the furnace. Since it was older equipment, we put in a new cooling system at the same time. It cost them a small fortune.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: