bad compressor

Old 08-09-02, 06:22 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
bad compressor

I recently discovered my compressor in the outside condensing unit is bad. Being that it is 13 years old, the local supply house told me it would be better to just replace the whole unit and the additional cost would be $100 more with a 5 year warrenty as opposed to a one year warrenty if i just replaced the compressor.
Question is, when i take the old one off, do i have to clean out the copper lines that go to the cooling coil then back to the condensing unit or can i just solder it up the way it is?
Thanks.
Joe

Old 08-09-02, 09:18 AM
bigjohn
Visiting Guest
Hi Joe:

You can't do any of that if you don't have an EPA certification to handle refrigerants. Also, they can't sell you a pre-charged unit or freon if you don't produce a card. Otherwise, to answer your question, you would normally install a filter-drier in the suction line and a filter drier in the liquid line. You need to check the replacement unit, sometimes they come with a liquid line filter-drier in the unit and sometimes they don't. You wouldn't want two filter-driers in a row. One other item- refrigeration piping is usually brazed and not soldered. You need the stronger joints due to the pressures and the thermal expansion/contraction of the piping. After the unit is installed and the joints have been leak checked, you have to evacuate down to and hold 500 microns in order to remove non-condensables and moisture from the piping and indoor coil.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: