Evap Coils -

Old 08-09-02, 11:50 AM
Rawlin
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Evap Coils -

The coils in my atic keep freezing up - I can not remember them being cleaned ever - so how do I cleam them.

Clorex spray to kill mold-then spray with clean water????

Old 08-09-02, 01:11 PM
bigjohn
Visiting Guest
You can try that plus using a shop vac on the coil. Usually, the dirt is impacted deep in the coil and the best way to get it out is to use a commercial grade alkaline based foaming action coil cleaner. I use a pump up pressure sprayer to get the chemical into the depth of the coil. The foaming action generates heat and dislodges the dirt deep in the coil which allows it to be washed away. VERY thorough flushing is required. If you have a catchment pan under the unit, try cleaning the coil in place and flushing it with your garden hose. The catchment pan should have a drain so just be careful to not overflow the pan. While you're in the unit, flush out the drain pan and the drain line. You'll also want to look at the blower wheel to see how dirty it is. I've found that if you scrape down the blades with a screwdriver and then use the shop vac, you can get the blowewr clean. The dirts gets packed onto the blades and just vacuuming doesn't always work.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: