Circulators Push or Pull

Old 08-09-02, 11:58 AM
PipeBender
Visiting Guest
Question Circulators Push or Pull

What is the current feeling on the "best" way to install heating circulators? On the Feed side or the Return side of a loop system.

I am talking about a Hot water Heating System (loop system using zone valves ). There seems to be professionals on both sides of the issue but none can give a good reason for their choice. I would welcome a discussion about this issue. Is it becuase of pressure in the boiler (good or bad), air getting into the system (from where?) and / or cooler temps on the return side ?

Old 08-09-02, 01:15 PM
bigjohn
Visiting Guest
For a good discussion, post at www.heatinghelp.com They are the steam/hot water experts. Perhaps you could give us a synopsis later. Thanks.

Old 08-09-02, 01:51 PM
PipeBender
Visiting Guest
I have done that already but have not heard from anyone as yet.

Old 08-09-02, 07:53 PM
jim@home
Visiting Guest
I installed mine on the return header. I had a plumber help me and advise me. The reason he gave was temperature on the return side not as great, so less heat stress on pump housing, vanes and gaskets. The return header is also lower so it is eaisier to work on, and to wire pump. It also is well after the make-up water valve and air scoop/expansion tank so most of the dissolved O2/N, etc is purged out of the water by the time is goes around the loop/s. The installation guide on my boiler lists BOTH locations as acceptable. i suppose there is an equal # of pros/cons for each, but those are the ones he gave me.

Last edited by jim@home; 08-09-02 at 08:16 PM.
Old 08-10-02, 06:17 AM
PipeBender
Visiting Guest
So far this is what I am hearing. I have not gotten any solid reason to put the circulator on the Feed side. Of course you could make the argument that you could introduce air to the boiler from a circulator or the return side. Also, you might cause higher water pressure in the boiler if the circulators are on the return.

Old 08-14-02, 07:07 AM
PipeBender
Visiting Guest
What I got from Taco

In a low head residential system, circulator location is not critical. If you were to purchase a packaged boiler most will have the pump on the return side. It would be very rare to have any issues caused by pump location on a low head system. The correct location (and our recommendation) is on the supply side of the system, pumping away from the expansion tank. This should eliminate any possible issues. If you have any questions please feel free to contact us anytime.

Regards,
Rick Brindamour
Technical Services
401-942-8000 Ext. 275

Old 10-01-02, 09:34 AM
PipeBender
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up Info from B&G

Well, after some searching I did find the B&G web site. (www.bellgossett.com). There I found quite a bit of good information. One of the most relevant was a "CounterPoint" newsletter article titled Five Good Reasons to Pump Away!, vol 8 Issue 1, published January 2001,

I would encourage all to go to that site and read this article.

Old 10-01-02, 11:58 AM
TheZman
Visiting Guest
Hello Pipebender,

All your article references to pump location make sense.
My inclination is still to place it on the return end, since the pump will run cooler and the life of the electric motor is extended.

Another thing you should keep eye on is the actual pump flow rate. See the following article below. An overated pump will actually cause the boiler to overheat and the radiators to underheat.

http://www.heatinghelp.com/newsletter.cfm?Id=119

Regards TheZman

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: