ac not blowing cold

Old 08-11-02, 07:34 PM
tholmez
Visiting Guest
Cool ac not blowing cold

Hello! I am so grateful that this forum exists. We have a split style central air conditioner / heating system. It uses gas for the heat and electric for the AC. We have noticed over the last two weeks that our house was not cooling as well. The problem has progressively worsened. Last Friday the temperature indoors was actually rising with the AC running. We cleaned the outside unit well. I also cleaned the fan inside the inner unit. I had trouble locating the coil in the AC unit. I planned to clean this also. I read other posts prior to looking for it, but I had trouble finding the coil by following the duct work as suggested in another post. Maybe our unit is different - or I just missed it?!

The make of the unit is WELBILT,
model no. 900803
serial no. 100614
Bonnet cap. 64000
Input BTU/hr 80000

I followed the instructions at the beginning of this forum and searched for the maker online. I am guessing this unit is quite old, I had no luck finding any info on Welbilt cooling/heating systems. I did however stumble upon a memo of sorts stating that this heating/cooling company no longer exists.

I would like to try and trouble shoot this problem myself. Any suggestions, advice, or instruction on where to find the coil or other ideas of what the problem could be are welcome and extremely appreciated!!! I live in FLORIDA and this is not the best time of year for the air conditioner to malfunction! Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-02, 09:48 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
evap coil

is located at the indoor termination of the copper refrigerant lines running to the outdoor unit. there may be a removable panel, and may even be covered by insulation. what you describe may be a refrigerant problem. possibly low on charge (which i would not doubt on a coil that old, good luck

Old 08-12-02, 01:20 PM
tholmez
Visiting Guest
correction to post

I gave heater info the first time. Our AC model is Rheem. Mfd 3/90.
Model: RAFD-0331JAS
Serial: 4729 M13907761
Volts 208/230 1
Phase 60
Compressor R.L.A. 14.8/14.8 LRA 80

Thanks for the help!
Tholmez

Old 08-12-02, 03:49 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
that is

a 2.5 ton, those units are generally good for 15 plus years with proper maintenance. you furnace appears to have 3 ton drive, meaning the capability to produce 3 tons of airflow, or 1200 cfm

Old 08-14-02, 06:51 PM
tholmez
Visiting Guest
Cool what the technician said

Well, last night a friend, who is an AC tech came over and looked at our system. I thought i would follow up in case anyone else encountered the same problem.

The technicain said that the problem was the A coil. Also, our furnace is very old. For about $100, he can try to clean the coil. For $200 - $300 he will replace the coil, or, for about $2000 we can replace everything (inside and outside units-furnace and AC). He also said that the 2 ton unit we have is not really suffecient for our 1400 sq foot home. He suggested a 3 ton unit, if we opt to get a new system. He also find minor leaks in the ductwork above two of the rooms in our home.

He also discovered that not only was the unit not blowing cold, but not very much air was coming through the vents.

If anyone has any suggestions or comments, feel free.

Old 08-15-02, 02:57 PM
bigjohn
Visiting Guest
Ask him exactly what he means by the problem is the A coil. Is it dirty and needs cleaning or is it leaking refrigerant? I don't know what the rules are on this forum for discussing prices, but $200 to replace the coil? That's a very good price. Does he mean the whole changeout job or just the price of the coil? BTW- is he moonlighting and using his employers truck, materials, etc., ? If you want to ascertain what size system you need for house, you can find a heating/cooling load calculation program at www.hvaccomputer.com/ For $39, you can use a one house version of the same program that is used by heating/cooling contractors nationwide.